Author Topic: 6volt alternator to replace a BTH pancage dynamo  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Edin

6volt alternator to replace a BTH pancage dynamo
« on: 30 Aug 2012 at 17:22 »
Hi all.
About four year ago,- I build a 12volt alternator (from a KUBOTA diesel engine) to replace the BTH pancage dynamo on my Douglas T6 1930.
The project was successful with a lot of power,- more than I need.
Unfortunately there was some unexpected consequenses,- as I shall try to describe.
1.- The original Douglas T6 - BTH front headlight - licensmade by Powell & Hanmer Ltd. was not able to be fitted with a 12volt bulb,- and still work satisfying and legal/lawful on short and long light.
To obtain correct light,- it was necessary to fit new bulb socket and/or new reflektor.
2.- The build in measures was 10mm to wide to hide alternator beneath the original BTH cover,-(it was  necessary to made a distance piece to fit it)
3.- The total price was too high.
Some month ago,-I was again short of pancagedynamoes,- and decided to make a 6volt alternator,- and try to do it without error from the previous 12volt project.
From a MC friend I was brought in contact with a compagnie "Power Dynamo" in germany
http://www.powerdynamo.biz
They were kind and helpfull with suggestion and drawings,- and I end up with obtain a set of
"rotor and stator,- regulation and rectifier" for a lightmachine in 6volt,- to a very fair price.
After a lot of work in the machine shop,- I end up with  a successful test.
With 2000 rev/min the outcome was about 6,5-7volt - 12amp. ca. 72watt.
The total price end up 30% lower than the 12volt project (about 200£ + a lot of work)
Enclosed fotoserie shows how I made it.
Regards Edin DK

« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2012 at 19:20 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: 6volt alternator to replace a BTH pancage dynamo
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2012 at 19:27 »
Photos added.

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2012 at 20:59 »
 Looks very nice, but apears to be a lot of unnecessary work, ive just been making one for my comet using one from a honda 50 moped.quite simple realy.

Offline Edin

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2012 at 13:06 »
Hej Eric
Thanks for reply.
On my Comet,- the pancagedynamo is completely different from that one for my T6 and it is not possible to change it between a Comet and a T6,- the construction is different.
I hope,- and look forward,- that you will share your experiense and test result with all other on the Douglas net,- so that they dont spend their time with a lot of unnecessary work.
Regards Edin DK

Offline tom hoek

• douglas A32 terrier 1931
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2012 at 18:16 »
Hello Edin
 It looks very good
 Thanks for the explanation and pictures   8)

Greetings from Tom