Author Topic: 1923 Model W flywheel and sprocket  (Read 4041 times)

Offline greg

1923 Model W flywheel and sprocket
« on: 20 Apr 2011 at 14:33 »
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Not a Douglas owner, just doing some repairs to a mate's bike after others had a go at it.....in other words, I'm trying to put right what others didn't quite get right...ie getting it to even run!
Fortunately that bit was easy, the major problem was the magneto ...... and luckily, these are right up my alley, so I soon had it running again.

But one thing I am trying to figure out is the problem of the primary chain clanging against the flywheel. Loudly.

The owner said it only used to clang once in a while, not very often. But at the moment it is making more noise than the exhaust! Well, not quite, but it is damaging the chome on the back edge of the wheel.

The work done prior to my involvment required dismantling the engine, so I was wondering if it was possible for the primary sprocket could have been assembeld incorrectly, closer to the wheel and thus causing the commotion? I can find no pictures or information showing how the sprocket is fixed to the crank end. Peering down behind the wheel it almost apprears tht it is threaded to the wheel boss? Is it possible to put it on in reverse, leave a spacer out or similar?

I've tried removing the flywheel with a LARGE three legged puller, but it appears that there was a liberal application of Loctite to the taper, if the amount on the flywheel nut was any indication. I've tried some heat, I've tried leaving the puller on overnight, I've tried hitting the end of the puller, as hard as I dare when considering the rather minimal crank webs...scary stuff. But nothing has moved so far.

So, not wanting to risk damage by pulling the wheel off if I do not need to, I decided to seek advice from somone on this forum as to whether it is possible that something could have been assembled incorrectly, to bring the sprocket closer to the flywheel.
Can someone advise please?

If this is not the problem, then it might be that the chain is a tiny bit too slack and the owner is not remembering how much the chain used to hit the wheel, afer all, it is about 2 years since he last rode it!
Cheers,
Greg in sunny Adelaide, South Australia

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: 1923 Model W flywheel and sprocket
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2011 at 14:50 »
Greg,
          The sprocket is screwed on to the flywheel (left hand thread). The original sprockets had a narrow boss (about 1/8") on the side that goes to the flywheel - if a replacement sprocket has been produced from a platewheel, an 1/8" spacer may be required to correct the chainline.
                            Regards,
                                       Eddie.

Offline greg

Re: 1923 Model W flywheel and sprocket
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2011 at 23:32 »
Thanks Eddie, I'll get the chain guard off, shine a strong light and peer down behind the wheel, with my glasses on this time...and see if the 1/8" boss (or spacer) is there.
I appreciate the fast reply. Thanks again.
Greg in sunny autumn Adelaide