Author Topic: D/Fly crankshaft  (Read 3426 times)

Offline norman

D/Fly crankshaft
« on: 22 Apr 2010 at 08:17 »
What is the recommended side float on the big ends

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: D/Fly crankshaft
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2010 at 11:41 »
Norman,
              The crankpins in the Dragonfly crank are drilled for direct oiling - this method is preferred to the side oiling system used on the Mark cranks, but it makes the end float on the bigends more critical. Too much end float allows the majority of the oil to escape from the front (right) bigend, leaving the rear (left) bigend starved. The only mention of bigend endfloat on postwar models is .004" on the T35 crank. I find this is a little tight and does not supply enough oil to prevent pistons nipping up. After some experimenting, I have found that .006" is just about ideal for good oiling without swamping the rings and trailing smoke. On my own Dragonfly I have reverted to a Mark centre web and undrilled crankpins running in needle roller bearings - this crank has now done in excess of 30,000 miles and when last checked, the crank was as good as the day it was fitted.
                       Regards,
                                    Eddie.

Offline norman

Re: D/Fly crankshaft
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2010 at 08:12 »
Thanks Eddie, It seems that the clearance on my crankpins will be OK I was concerned because of the swamping the pistons. I am running roller bearings in both bigends and the front main, but am still using the original D/Fly center web, but was considering making a full circle one.

Norm L

Quote of previous post removed - Dave, April 27th, 2010
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2010 at 10:59 by Dave »