Author Topic: Mk4 Gearbox Final Drive  (Read 3919 times)

Offline dragonmk5

Mk4 Gearbox Final Drive
« on: 24 May 2014 at 10:04 »
 Recently fitted the newly overhauled gearbox and taken the bike round the block a few times, since when it has sat there due to one or two outstanding problems, which need not detain us here.  If anyone is currently working on a gearbox, this may be of interest.
After a while I noticed a fair amount of oil sitting on top of the woffle box and dripping down the stand appearing to come from the area of the final drive, so today, out came engine and gearbox for an investigation, as the leak was too severe to tolerate.  When the final drive was fitted, I found that it turned smoothly by hand, without shims, so that was how it was assembled.  Having now dismantled it, I thought that the source of the oil leak was from the kick start spindle, (item 1 on plate 18), and a poor fit of the final drive housing due to a distorted flange. This may well be the case, however, I also noticed that the outside sealed side of the bearing (inner seal removed, item 7 on plate 19) was wet, so I tested it using gearbox oil, and it is letting oil through. :frown:  The bearing I used was a 6205LB item made by NTN, so if you've got one of these, or indeed any other make,  it may be worth testing it before final fitting.  Happy days!!