Author Topic: My Comp model  (Read 10716 times)

Offline richson

My Comp model
« on: 12 May 2007 at 10:45 »
Here is a pic of my almost restored Comp. New exhaust system next week and replacement tank in future will complete the job. Running quite nicely, and hope to have MOT for Cavalcade . . .

Larger view
« Last Edit: 14 May 2007 at 05:06 by alwyn »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: My Comp model
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2007 at 04:55 »
Looking very nice, hope it is ready for the Cavalcade as I would like to see it!

-Doug

Offline richson

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2008 at 21:09 »
Some more pics with new tank, exhaust & few other mods.

« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2008 at 21:46 by Dave »

Offline Dougiethenoo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2016 at 02:46 »
Magnificent bike.
Could you tell me if the mudguards are original, or if not, for what bike were they originally?
I am having trouble fining a 5.5" wide rear like this, which is long enough.

Thanks.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2016 at 07:11 »
The mudguards fitted to the Comp were aluminium (a standard fitment on most trials machines) whereas the guards on a Mk3 Sports were steel, painted silver. Also, on the roadgoing postwar Douglas machines the front end of the rear mudguard ran out straight below the swinging arm (to pickup on the lower frame lug). The same applies to the rear end of the front mudguard - it should run out straight.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Dougiethenoo

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2016 at 13:04 »
Hi Eddie, after much browsing of the literature and photo libraries I have decided that while "un-modifying" the MKIIIS was the initial goal, there are a few period / sympathetic custom modifications I'd like to do. The base machine was modified with MkIV/V components over 50 years ago.

I am restoring the colour scheme, single leather seat, up & over exhausts and long silencers, however, I'm also looking to change unnecessarily heavy &/or less aesthetically pleasing features for period alternatives.
These include the steel mudguards which are not in very good condition - the rear has been cut and shortened. Alloy wheel rims, which I believe were a factory option, if not in 1948, within a year or two.
I also plan to switch to flat handlebars, similar to the earlier T35.
Motives are partially cost and time constraints too. Re-chroming the original bars and wheel rims is expensive in the USA, quality restoration and refinishing of wheels and mudguards exceeds the price of very similar aluminium aftermarket ones.

I think I have found a suitable 5.5" wide rear mudguard, which can be extended at the front with a straight simple curved piece to pick up the lower mounting lug and re-formed to clear the chain on the left.
Measurements of mudguards can be deceptive though... you see the dimensions and think "eureka!" then offer it up and find the curvature is just wrong enough to make it look very odd!