Author Topic: Douglas Bantam Restoration  (Read 19707 times)

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Douglas Bantam Restoration
« on: 21 Nov 2005 at 13:17 »
Hi all,
I commenced my Bantam restoration with the collection of components shown in the "before" photograph. There were three types of forks used on Bantam and the forks that came with the "kit" were the rarer tubular girder version. I partially restored these before I was offered a pair of the more usual pressed steel forks by a member of the London Douglas MCC. "They have been under my bench for years". (The tubular girders are now being used in another Bantam restoration). Other parts were incorrect and were either, modified, replaced or manufactured with the aim of making the machine as original as possible within reason. Particularly difficult items were the aluminium castings for the gear change housing and the exhaust waffle box. For these I made the wooden patterns and the core box (plaster of Paris) and had them cast by a local non-ferrous foundry The machining of the waffle box was carried out on my bench drill using a home made boring tool to provide bores of the correct diameter and distance apart to provide a correct fit onto the parallel outlet ports of the cylinder barrel and also for the exhaust pipe outlets. I was fortunate to be able to borrow a nearly complete Bantam to enable so many missing parts to be copied. The loan of an original leg-shield from another Club member enabled manufacture of these using wire rolled edges. Strengthening ribs were rolled in using a borrowed "Jenny" for which I made the rollers. Another interesting exercise was the creation of the badge on the flywheel cover. This was made using clear casting resin incorporating the Scotsman's head transfer available from The LDMCC. It was cast in a wax mould formed around a glass light bulb (60 watt) to give a highly polished finish. A complete list of the parts I made in restoration of this machine is attached. The other photos show the restored machine from both sides and views of the "works" with the side panels removed.
Chris

As it was pre-restoration:

Larger view HERE

Post restoration - right-hand side:

Larger view HERE

Post restoration - left-hand side:

Larger view HERE

The engine room - right-hand side:

Larger view HERE

The engine room - left-hand side:

Larger view HERE

And here is a list of the replacement parts that I had to replicate....

Parts for Bantam Restoration
Rear brake rod
Knurled rear Brake adjuster
Brake lever securing bolts - 2
Front Brake rod and clevis fork
Clevis pin -3
Front brake spring box
Front brake knurled adjuster
Front brake knurled lock ring
Front mudguard stays - 2
Brake band pivots - 4
Brake band adjusting bolts - 3
Rear mudguard stay
Rear mudguard grab bar.
Front number plate
Rear number plate
Rear mudguard
Footrest assemblies - 2
Gearbox platform
Rear engine mounting
Side panel mounting clamps - 2
Side panels - 2
Side panel knobs - 4
Gear change gate
Gear lever
Gear lever pivot
Gear change rod
Knee pad plates - 2
Knee pad studs - 2
Screws for gear change casting - 2
Engine shock absorber Spring
Engine shock absorber nut
Crankshaft nut
Manifold bolts - 2

Manifold studs - 2
Manifold adaptor
Crankcase studs - 4
Crankcase bolts - 4
Engine front mounting bolts - 2
Engine rear mounting bolts - 2
Engine top mounting bolts - 2
Front engine clamp bolts - 2
Front engine clamp spacers - 2
Rear wheel spindle
Rear wheel adjuster bolts
Rear hub
Rear brake plate
Clutch
Crankshaft
Brake and clutch reverse levers
Saddle frame
Rear brake lever
Change speed lever
Headlamp
Grease nipples
Handlebars
Front and rear spindle nuts LH - 4
Front spindle stepped washers
Fork spindles - 4
Fork spindle nuts - 4
Fork bearing bushes - 4
Headlamp support brackets - 4
Steering head clamp stud
Oil measure
Banjo bolts - 2
Petrol pipe
Gearbox large headed blanking bolt
        Rear seat studs
Saddle front spring
Clutch push rod
Clutch lever pivot
Gearbox sprocket
Mud flap
Mud flap clamp strip
Petrol tank supports
Air lever screw
Dynamo support bracket
Frame bolt
Rear stay studs
Flywheel cover badge
Rear stand
Rear stand clip bolt
Rear stand pivot bolts
Twist grip helix tube
Twist grip slider
Twist grip clamp ring
Chain guard
Cables - Clutch, Brake, De-compressor
Drain tap adaptor
Exhaust brackets - 2
Tool box knob
Gear change casting
Exhaust waffle box
Waffle box clamp
Waffle box clamp bolt
Tool box
Toolbox clamp
Badge mounting
Leg shields
Handlebar "U" bolts

« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2008 at 02:50 by Dave »

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: Douglas Bantam Restoration
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2005 at 00:53 »
That is a wonderful transformation Chris! What a superb restoration. Makes me wish that my dad had grabbed the Bantam we saw some years back, missing most of the tinware, but in better nick than what you started with. I know where it is  - let's hope it gets a similar transformation,eh Daren! :)

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2005 at 05:14 »
hats of to u chris what a brilliant job

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2006 at 22:28 »
Chris,

Can you tell us which year and model the Bantam is? - if that's possible. I understand there were a few different models of the Bantam between 1933 and 1935. We're organising a collection of members' photos by model and would like to include yours with the correct title.

cheers, Dave

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2006 at 05:52 »
MY Bantam is the 1935 model 5X.1 i.e. top of the (limited) range with dynamo lighting and battery.

Offline ericseguy

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2008 at 19:25 »
hy,
i 'm live in france, i have find a bantam douglas in 6 years ago, it was completed with all pieces. I think this model is difficult to find, i have seen only yours and mine.  After one year of restauration you can look for it:

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2008 at 20:37 by Dave »

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2008 at 16:10 »
Hi Eric
       It is good to see another restored Bantam. It illustrates however, some of the variations of this model which is known to have used two different petrol tanks, three different front forks, three different designs of side panels, two different frames, two different alloy silencer boxes under the engine, three different exhaust silencers at the rear, and of course two different engines. I know of three other Bantams in England that are complete and in running condition, another being restored and one being restored in Australia.
Chris.

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2008 at 07:07 »
How about this pic taken about 1948 Daren

Frank Harrison c1948 with Douglas Bantam
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2008 at 20:50 by Dave »
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2008 at 10:53 »
Interesting to see that white rubber tyres were still available then - I thought they disappeared in the beaded edge era.

Offline TonyC

« Reply #9 on: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:51 »
Hi,

Can anyone give details of the dynamo that is fitted to the Bantam especially the model in the lower picture, ie sizes and make.

Thanks

Tony

Offline Cliffy73

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2020 at 20:47 »
Hi Nice job on the restoration. Me and my dad are just start restoring a Bantam each. Mine is a model X and my dad's is a 5X1. I'm after parts for the 5X1 if you have any spare parts. Cheers Chris.

Offline Bob M

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2020 at 07:03 »
As a sad Villiers obsessive I confess my Bantam interest lies solely with the first Villiers powered version. Why Douglas dropped the Villiers for their own make engine I do not know but then again, I am a little biased.
Just as a matter of Douglas interest you may like to know the Villiers engine used was their 148cc Mk XIIC introduced in 1931 and made until 1940. It is more or less the standard Villiers factory offering with only change I’ve found to date being the position of the crankcase drain plug. It was moved to suit the horizontal engine position used on the Bantam. It would otherwise have been on the centreline level with the crankshaft. Not very effective as a drain plug up there.
Villiers did give it it’s own engine number prefix, GYH, as compared to the standard engine GY prefix. That was common Villers practice back then when they made minor changes to meet a specific makers need. The mechanicals always remained the same but there could be little oddities as in this case.
I suspect I may also have a Villiers Bantam inlet manifold in the shed. Villiers made a huge range of inlet manifolds to the extent they wouldn’t list them in their spare parts list but just bluntly told customers they couldn’t supply unless they received a sample to refer to. Mine is of a U shape lying on its side. It would appear spot on for the horizontal Bantam engine but as I said, Villiers made an exhaustive number of inlet manifolds so who knows.
Cheers, Bob