Author Topic: B29 Clutch Problems  (Read 717 times)

Offline cycarmark

B29 Clutch Problems
« on: 06 Oct 2022 at 15:24 »
I've got some problems with the flywheel clutch on my B29.  When I reassembled it and took the bike for a ride, the clutch spring nut on the outside of the flywheel clutch tightened up and locked the clutch.  It appears that while the crankshaft was turning the flywheel clutch was not turning as much and the spring nut tightened up.  Trying to remove the flywheel to check it out, I got the spring nut off and removed the springs.  I cannot remove the nut holding the flywheel to the crankshaft.  I can lock the flywheel in place but while trying to remove the nut the crankshaft turns.  It appears the flywheel is slipping on the crankshaft.  Any ideas on how to lock the crankshaft in place so I can remove the nut?  Also, when I do get the nut and flywheel off, what should I look for to see why the flywheel is not being secured to the crankshaft?  I did get the flywheel re-plated, could this have any effect?

Thanks in advance for any help with this, it is appreciated!

Offline cycarmark

Re: B29 Clutch Problems
« Reply #1 on: 06 Oct 2022 at 17:22 »
I just got the nut off, is there anything to look for as to why the flywheel was slipping and any suggestions on re-assembly that would help prevent the slipping?

Thanks!

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2022 at 05:18 »
I think the connection of your flywheel was not good enough to the cone of the crankshaft.
Please check these parts of a perfect surface.
May be it is worth to use grinding paste to get a perfect connection again.
This possibility depends on the damage of the surface.

I restored my H3 engine (same engine as B29, but with a bigger flywheel). It had a bad worn flywheel cone on the crankshaft. The cone was made new on a lathe and the flywheel got a new insert. It was a bit difficult to get the right measures between engine and flywheel, because there is also the clutch mechanism need a special space.

Michael

Offline cycarmark

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2022 at 01:30 »
The taper on both the flywheel and crankshaft looks good.  I did see that the flywheel nut was bottoming out on the crankshaft before it fully tightened the flywheel to the crankshaft.  Some shims under the nut seems to allow the nut to fully tighten and secure the flywheel to the crankshaft.  I tightened the nut as much as I can and have marked the position of the nut relative to the clutch spring nut and after a good ride it has stayed in place. 

Thanks for your input, it is really appreciated.