Author Topic: New member  (Read 831 times)

Offline Polaris

« on: 12 Jun 2022 at 11:33 »
Hi every one. My name is Douglas, I have bought a MKIV with a MKV engine. I have a few questions I would like to ask to get me going with my sympathetic restoration. I don't intend to do a full paint restoration just a sound clean and tidy mechanical road worthy job. Can some one please help me with the following.

1. The maintenance book says the torsion bar arms should be at 30.5 degrees unloaded. Does this mean on the centre stand or resting on its wheels with no one sitting on it.

2 The centre stand is very badly worn and the bike sits on its wheels with the stand down. When it is on the stand how much gap should there be under the rear tyre.

3 The kickstart shaft bush is worn. Can this be replaced with the engine and gear box in the frame.

Regards Doug.

Offline phil1

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2022 at 08:40 »
Hi Douglas
                 I did a piece in the New Conrod mag, March/ April re my center stand of witch may be of interest, as from memory the torsion bars I set on the stand with no wheel in place, as for the long kickstart bush I have never replaced would think the case would have to be heated to extract the said bush as can be seen in the spares book there is know shoulder on the in side. Regards. Phil.

Offline Polaris

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2022 at 19:00 »
Hi Phil, many thanks for your reply. I have read your article regarding the centre stand it will help me a lot. The kick starter bush is not desperate at the moment but will need doing.

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2022 at 05:45 »
Hi Doug,

may be you can get a new center stand from the LDMCC post war spares, if you your stand is too bad worn.

Michael