Author Topic: Douglas Dragonfly gearbox grinding noise  (Read 1004 times)

Offline nexuszaf

Douglas Dragonfly gearbox grinding noise
« on: 16 Feb 2022 at 14:48 »
Need some pointers for my 1957 Douglas Dragonfly.  Recently when idling as well as riding the bike there appears to be a grinding noise coming and going from the gearbox.  It almost feels like it's coming from the kickstart, if you push the kickstart down a few millimeters it seems to go away but as the spring pushes it back it comes back.  I have not opened the gearbox but just wondering how serious this could be and if I should open it up?

Thanks

Offline EW-Ron

Re: Douglas Dragonfly gearbox grinding noise
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2022 at 00:38 »
I know these not one bit, but can you reposition the kickstart (on a spline maybe)
so that it is out of this 'grinding zone'.

Of course, if there is no spline, this will come to nought ...

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2022 at 07:01 »
 I think the noise you are hearing is actually the kickstart ratchet operating due to the kickstart not fully disengaging when it is at rest.
As part of the kick start mechanism, there is a gear with 'missing' teeth. When the kickstart is at rest, these 'missing' teeth should line up with the mating gear. It sounds as if your kickstart is going beyond it's normal resting place. The first thing to check out is the actual kickstart shaft - it has a brazed on stop lug - make sure that it isn't breaking away or damaged (or the stop pin bent or damaged). If that is OK, go inside the 'box and check that the key on the kickstart shaft isn't partly sheared. Which ever problem you find, you will have to go inside the 'box to get the kickstart shaft out. You can access it by removing the final drive assembly (remove the centre bolt and the 6 ¼BSF nuts, then gently tap the shaft out) . On re-assembling the kickstart mechanism, make sure it is 'timed' correctly so that those 'missing' teeth do actually line up with their mating gear.
    Hope this helps,
                            Regards,
                                         Eddie.

Offline nexuszaf

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2022 at 08:28 »
Thanks for the advice - will have a look and report back