Author Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge  (Read 1214 times)

Offline saluki42

Oil Pressure Gauge
« on: 18 Dec 2021 at 09:36 »
Hi again, it would seem that my Model Z would have a low pressure, 15psi, pressure gauge mounted in the dashboard on the petrol tank. Wegher I'm at a loss is where the pressure gauge would be connected to the oil way as the only exposed part of the system seem to be the feed and return lines to and from the pump to the tank mounted oil reservoir. Any hints as to where the measurement is being taken from would be handy.

regards
Chris

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2021 at 14:49 »
Ought to be a boss high up on the forward edge of the timing cover joint. See attached. The gauge had its own dedicated small bore tube. I think in 1935 they went from using a 15psi Eureka oil gauge to a 25psi one. Perhaps based on what Eureka was supplying that year. I also think the 25psi one can be found in some small British cars of the mid-thirties.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2021 at 17:20 by Doug »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2021 at 17:38 »
Picture of the original 15psi Eureka gauge on my 1934 OW1.

My 1935 OW1 and the Endeavour special have this 25psi Eureka gauge. I have seen it on other 1935 models, which leads me to think it was 'right' for 1935 models. I have not come across it mentioned as a model year change , however.

The oil pressure gauges are reproduced, though I think just the 25psi version? Might be a post about it somewhere. There is a a repo of the 15psi dial face on the market, though besides not having the red stripe, there are subtle differences in the patent text and Eureka logo. The silk screening is not as crisp either. 

Overall view of the 1934 instrument panel. Oil pressure gauge, light switch, and instrument/inspection lamp are original. The ammeter is a replacement, and I am not sure if it is exactly period correct. But it was close enough and besides what I had on hand.

-Doug

Offline saluki42

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2021 at 08:04 »
Thanks Doug, at this rate you will have built a complete Model Z remotely by the time she's finished.

Have a good Christmas
Chris