Author Topic: Thread sizes  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Sgtbiro

Thread sizes
« on: 03 Jun 2021 at 17:21 »
Hi all could someone please advise me to what are the thread sizes of the grease nipples on a Dragonfly they seems to be two different sizes.

Cheers Kevin...

Offline EW-Ron

Re: Thread sizes
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jun 2021 at 00:07 »
I don't know specifically about on Dragonflys, but I've met the 1/4 and 1/8 inch BSF types.

I don't know about obtaining the original types, which are about useless in my estimation,
but you can buy more modern types which a modern grease gun can latch onto, and apply PRESSURE.
I have heard that applying some cloth over the old type will avoid a mess and apply some pressure,
but have not tried it.

Be aware there are also 1/4" UNF type grease nipples, and I think a similar metric equivalent.
You can also obtain stainless marine varieties, which keeps them nice and shiny.
If such things are important.  But not in BSF sizes ... ?

There are also larger sizes. Much larger in industrial type stuff.
Hopethishelps.

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #2 on: 06 Jun 2021 at 18:47 »
Yer thanks Ron all reply’s are appreciated.

Cheers Kevin

Offline patrickwhitty

« Reply #3 on: 07 Jun 2021 at 16:30 »
I have been round the Dragonfly changing most of it's grease nipples. The hubs are 1/4 inch UNF. M6x1 also fits. The front brake reaction link has an angled 1/4 inch at each end. The top of the steering is 5/16 but I have tried UNF and BSF and neither is a good fit. I fitted a UNF as far as it would go by hand and put some grease in but then put the original nipple on again. The clutch looks like 5/16 but it is so inaccessible I haven't replaced it, yet. The speedometer drive is much smaller, 1/8 inch I expect. I don't have nipples any that size so I haven't been able to try. Have I missed any?

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jun 2021 at 18:31 »
Thanks Patrick thats great, no i dont think you have missed any.
Much appreciated.

Kevin...