Author Topic: New Douglas owner seeking model identification  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Stephan Henderson

New Douglas owner seeking model identification
« on: 04 Sep 2019 at 11:07 »
Hi Douglas Forum members
Congratulations on a great website
I have recently obtained a Douglas rolling frame bearing the number MF4380, stamp on the right-hand side just under the seat. I was told that it is a 1927 350 EW. I have attempted to identify the model using the information on your site, but somewhat confused, due to the bike coming with 2 engines and gearboxes, so I  am unsure of which is the original engine , that should be kept with the frame
My intent is to restore as close as possible to original, the issue I am having is not knowing exactly what model I have and which engine and gearbox I should concentrate on
Could anyone assist with this and obtaining any manuals that may assist with rebuilding
Also is there any club meetings held in Sydney Australia

Many thanks for any assistance
Stephan
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2019 at 11:27 by Stephan Henderson »

Offline carl denton

Re: New Douglas owner seeking model identification
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2019 at 12:49 »
mf 4380 is a 1926 ew the engine number should be YE and the number should be 10000 or lower the gear box will have two flat mounts with two threaded holes in each not scalped out .
almost gerente the tube that the rear brake mounts on is bent about 3 inches in .

hope that helps yours carl .

« Reply #2 on: 05 Sep 2019 at 08:22 »
Thanks so much Carl
I will go through the gearboxes over the weekend and see if there is identifying marks. Big thanks Steph

« Reply #3 on: 05 Sep 2019 at 11:34 »
Hi Carl
You certainly were on the money with the ID, as the person that gave it to me told me it was 1927
I have identified the numbers on the engines and gearbox's, is it possible to presume that the engine with the No RG4339 would be the right one considering it is close to the frame no perhaps.
The other is RG9698
The gearbox was interesting with one having the number YE4969 and the other with what appears to be a poor attempt of the number YE08 the other numbers is unrecognisable, they appear to have been scratch in. I will attempt to send you a photograph, I note that one side case is black the other metal finish
Sorry for the hassle I am trying to an authentic resto, and want to get it right
Is there any manuals that can be obtained to undertake rebuilds
Thanks so much Stephan