Author Topic: MKV tappet locknuts  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Pallijen15

MKV tappet locknuts
« on: 02 Jun 2019 at 16:16 »
Hi, having removed both rockerbox covers to check tappets the right side tappet lock nuts are on the inside of the rocker arm, exhaust locknut thinner than inlet valve tappet locknut. On the left side the  locknuts are on the outside of the rocker arms (at the extreme end of the threads). Looking at the manual I think the nuts should be on the inner side of the  rocker arms but shouldn't all the nuts be thin to maximise tappet adjustment? Also, what is best for to seal the rockerbox centre screw, cork, fibre washer, o ring then fibre washer? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Paul J

Offline isettaman

Re: MKV tappet locknuts
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jun 2019 at 23:02 »
Hi Paul
You've just had me running for my parts list to check. The exploded diagram has the nuts on the top of the rocker arms - all the nuts on my machine are thin ones. I did worry a bit about mine as there is little thread left above the rocker arms on a couple of the valves, I put this down to the new valves, seats and head gasket which will settle down after a few miles.
Regarding the rocker cover screw, spares list shows a fibre washer.
Cheers
Dave

Offline Pallijen15

« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2019 at 12:15 »
Thanks Dave, I'm wondering if the extra thick nuts are keeping the valves open when the rocker box cover goes on

Offline isettaman

« Reply #3 on: 03 Jun 2019 at 21:35 »
Wouldn't have thought so, it would make a hell of a racket and there'd be marks on the inside of the covers.

Offline Pallijen15

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2019 at 10:32 »
There is a small shiny mark on the left rocker cover exhaust side