Author Topic: New Douglas owner tire question  (Read 3406 times)

Offline cycarmark

New Douglas owner tire question
« on: 03 Aug 2018 at 14:45 »
I recently purchased a 1929 model B29 and one of the first needs on the bike are tires.  The tires currently on the bike are 25x3 size.  After looking at various options, the Ensign 26x3 seems like a good choice.  My question is will this tire fit the existing rims and will there be enough clearance under the fender.

I appreciate any comments or help with this.

Mark in Tallahassee Florida.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: New Douglas owner tire question
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2018 at 00:56 »
No they won't. You will need to lace on new rims to suit the 26 x 3 tyres, or go for 19" well base rims, which is what many EW owners have done

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 04 Aug 2018 at 09:38 »
Hello All, Where did I go wrong. I fitted many CW and EW wheels with 26x3 Okada Japanese tyres  made for rickshaws. They were a cheap buy compared with the English ones. I did a story on the forum once (60 plus on a 2 3/4 ) This machine had the cheap rickshaw tyres and is probably still being ridden on Mackay roads with those tyres. Maybe they are no longer available but when the occasional one turns up at swap meets I jump on them. As for the B29  yes go for the modern rim.

regards Alan

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 04 Aug 2018 at 10:33 »
Ah no I have made a mistake in my previous comments the 60 plus on a 2 3/4 bike had the same brand of tyre but 26x 2 1/2.
regards Alan

Offline cycarmark

« Reply #4 on: 04 Aug 2018 at 15:53 »
Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.  My earliest bike up until now was a 1935, so I have not run into these old tire sizes.  Now I've got 3 1920's bikes so I will certainly be running into this again.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 05 Aug 2018 at 00:40 »
The Okada beaded edge tyres no long seem to be available, so that option has gone. There have been numerous threads on this forum about this tyre issue, and it would seem that the best option is to now fit suitable rims - either beaded edge to suit 26 x 3, or go well base

Offline cycarmark

« Reply #6 on: 05 Aug 2018 at 20:33 »
It looks like it may be easier to go with the well type rims.  A WM1 x 19 seems really close to the size of the original beaded edge rims.  Anyone know of a supplier of rims that size that will work for the B29?

Lots of questions from a new Douglas owner, who got it running earlier today!!

Offline Alan

« Reply #7 on: 05 Aug 2018 at 23:49 »
If you look on the members picture gallery you will see a pic of my restored B29 with well based rims and easily available tyres of a decent size to give the bike a nice profile. From memory as the bike long gone, the rim dimensions were that of a BSA bantam (but with the correct number of spoke holes). I purchased off the shelf (shop now closed as alas most have here in Aus) and should be available from a classic rim supplier. As said, lots of discussion re this if you just search the excellent discussion forum.

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 06 Aug 2018 at 02:44 »
From memory D1 bantam rims are wm1 and the same spoke count as EW on 350's (40 hole?)
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline cycarmark

« Reply #9 on: 06 Aug 2018 at 13:11 »
I have a D1 Bantam and a C12 and both have the WM1 rims (40 hole) that's what made me think they would work for the Douglas.  Good to hear they have worked for others in this application.