Author Topic: Douglas Mk 5-Keeps cutting out!  (Read 2294 times)

Offline HughesNigel924

Douglas Mk 5-Keeps cutting out!
« on: 19 Sep 2017 at 16:39 »
Hi,

My name is Nigel.

At last , my Douglas is on the road (it has been a long road)But i have forgotten the time as I am now riding along with that twin sound track all around. Its fantastic! In fact my mouth hurts from smiling so much.
However when starting now (very easy by the way) it seems to cut out almost straight away.
I thought it might be fuel so I have topped up.
If i rev the bike while stationary the sweeping exhaust going into the engine starts smoking.There is a little smoke coming out of the exhaust too.(same side)
I have checked the condition of the inside of the exhaust and is, i can only describe this as black gunge.
With the Hinckley (Leics) Motorshow on this Sunday (23/09) i was hoping to roar in with normally the only Douglas there!
Would anyone know if i can check anything before Sunday or do you think this may be engine internals?

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice

Nigel Hughes

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: Douglas Mk 5-Keeps cutting out!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2017 at 23:49 »
Is it black smoke or oily blue smoke? It sounds to me that it might be running very rich, and possibly wetting the plugs

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2017 at 07:05 »
Nigel,
         With the engine stopped, open the throttles and look into the carbs. If you can see a choke slide, it is probably worn and become detached from it's plunger (not an uncommon problem). This would cause that cylinder to run on full choke.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline HughesNigel924

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2017 at 17:49 »
Hi Graeme and Eddie,

Thank you for your advice,i will try both your suggestions.

Kind regards

Nigel.