Author Topic: australian links page  (Read 8572 times)

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
australian links page
« on: 01 Jun 2005 at 12:19 »
i am thinking of having a homepage for australian douglas owners should be setting it up soon and maybe a club in the future it will me mainly a link page just like this page has done execpt mine will not be as infomative as this site has been and will continue to be
any comments just post a reply
Trevor

Offline Ian

• Master Member
australian links page
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jun 2005 at 12:40 »
Why would you want to do the website ? Having everything in one place is great.

Online Dave

• Administrator
australian links page
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jun 2005 at 23:42 »
Hi Trevor,

Perhaps you would like to post the information somewhere here? We have quite a few Australian members. There is a forum called “Douglas Motorcycle Links”, but currently it says underneath “Genuine Douglas links only please” – this wording may be a bit limiting for what you have in mind.

If you can indicate the type of links/information you would like to post, we may be able to create the space for you right here.

cheers, Dave

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
web page
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2005 at 10:26 »
i was thinking of a links page only, this forum is fantastic and there is no need to replicate any thing like this page
i was thinking more along the lines of who is the best amal man in victoria australia
who can service my chronometric speedo in victoria nsw qld etc
the top 2 links would have to be london motor cycle club and kynochs as they have a wealth of information my aim is just to make the information easier to find on the net
as a newbie it took me weeks to find out info on my t35 and kynochs kept coming up but i thought it was only for early douglas at first since then i have pondered over its wealth of knowledge but information was scattered some douglas sites are 25 pages into a search engine
the links page just puts all the sites in one spot.
could easily be done here but may require more info in meta tag to come up no 1 on search engines
 just dont know if u want to go to such a level as states in countries but if u do then the wealth of info would be good , maybe set up at a country level

Online Dave

• Administrator
australian links page
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jun 2005 at 03:25 »
Quote from: "Trevor"
.. I was thinking more along the lines of who is the best amal man in victoria australia
who can service my chronometric speedo in victoria nsw qld etc

This is a good idea Trevor. It could help many owners find resources and save the time, expense and trouble of the trial and error route.

Adding more forums to this website is quite easy. We could create a new section for them called Resources (or similar – open to suggestions) positioned on the main Forum Index page say between Reference and Classifieds.

In that section, we could have a forum for any country for which a member wishes to post links or information eg

Australia
Useful links and resources in Australia

New Zealand
Useful links and resources in New Zealand

U.K.
Useful links and resources in the U.K.

U.S.A.
Useful links and resources in the U.S.A.

Anywhere not listed above
Post here and a new forum will be created for your country

.. and we just add forums as members request.

Regarding getting down to state level, perhaps the standard method of posting in these forums could be to put the state in the subject line eg for the state of Victoria in Australia - "Vic - Service for chronometric speedos"

This would help when searching - all the posts containing “vic” could be retrieved. If a lot of posts for one country accumulate over time, they can be further sub-divided by state. We have a software upgrade in the pipeline that will store many sub-categories in a compact manner and is ideal for this application.

Any comments or suggestions on the above most welcome.

Dave

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
more forums
« Reply #5 on: 04 Jun 2005 at 06:29 »
sounds like a good idea to me as there is wealth of knowledge that is out there.
i am at present compiling links but im still in my infancy, and im sure there are plenty of members only to willing to recommend their friends in the buisness of motorcycling, and this would prove more cost effective sometimes for all.

let me know when the new software is implemented and ill send u my links in list form
make this great site into one of the best motorcyling pages on the web i believe.
Trevor

Online Dave

• Administrator
australian links page
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jun 2005 at 10:45 »
Perhaps the wording I suggested above is a bit vague.

Maybe Recommended Parts Suppliers and Restoration Services is a better name for the section, rather than "Resources".

And for each forum, maybe...

(country name)
Recommendations by Douglas Owners - Parts Suppliers and Restoration Services.

To help clarify that this section is about recommendations and not advertisements by suppliers, the Classifieds section could be renamed to Advertising and Classifieds.

Online Dave

• Administrator
australian links page
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2005 at 11:32 »
Trevor, as you've probably noticed, the new forums are now on the main page. Please feel free to go ahead and post any recommendations you may have.

If anyone else knows some good suppliers and/or restorers and you feel like sharing the information with other Douglas owners, please post your recommendations in your country's forum.

If your country is not yet listed, please post in the Your country not listed? forum and I'll create a new forum for you and move your post there.

When the new software is introduced sometime in the next 1-2 months, the country forums will be listed horizontally across the page and be much more compact. So we won't end up with a main index page two feet long!  :)

Dave

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
links
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2005 at 12:19 »
what a great job u have done i will sort out the best over next 2 days and post them