Author Topic: Need suggestions for keeping mufflers well attached  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Jeffbo1

I have noticed that after riding my 51' MkV a short distance, one or the other muffler has slipped back on the exhaust pipe and is readily apparent when viewing the pipes down vertically....each of my mufflers is held onto each exhaust pipe with a single clamp. I have seen pictures of other MkVs and in one shot of a bike it looked like there was a supplemental strap on the right muffler and affixed to the frame via an arm....not sure if this is original or someones modification to fix the same problem I am having....any thoughts?

Offline David Lawrence

Re: Need suggestions for keeping mufflers well attached
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2013 at 10:34 »
Hi Jeffbo,
The problem you notice with the mark silencers (Mufflers!) is far from uncommon, many Mark owners have been seen rummaging in the hedge looking for absent silencers  :oops:
I have to confess that many years ago I once saw in my mirror our Secretary of the time ducking to avoid my cartwheeling silencer passing over his shoulder! Ah those were the days!!
Seriously, it can be very dangerous should it come off.
The design of the suspension and toolboxes does make an elegant solution rather tricky, various attempts using straps have been tried, either with a strap round the tail pipe or by brazing a lug onto the silencer body as on the Dragonfly, I have used Dragonfly silencers in the past turned so the lug is vertical and attached a strap up to the passenger footrest bolt. All rather clumsy looking.
A thought that I do have is to mount two very small lugs (literally a small "U" shaped piece of thick wire) one on the exhaust pipe the other onto the entry pipe of the silencer and use one of the exhaust springs used on modern bike pipes. These could be tucked under the pipe close to the frame and would therefore be unobtrusive. To avoid damaging the pipes the spring attachment could be added to the exhaust clamp and silencer clamp, not so effective or elegant but less damaging to the chrome!
Have fun.
Dave

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2013 at 11:32 »
Jeff,
       A cunning solution that seems to work quite well is to slide back the silencer clamp and drill a small hole (about 1/8" dia) through the silencer and exhaust pipe, then countersink the hole in the silencer and fit a short countersunk rivet into the hole. To finish off, slide the clamp back into place and tighten it up, clamping up the silencer and retaining the rivet - hey presto, the silencer cannot fall off, and the mod is completely out of sight!!

Regards,
                  Eddie.

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2013 at 11:46 »
Jeff,
Eddie's solution sounds far more elegant and simple to fit! I would recommend that you try it!
Shoiuld have known Ed would have the answer!!!
Dave

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2013 at 16:58 »
It's no good getting old, if you don't get crafty!!!

Offline Erkki

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2013 at 18:20 »
Hello Jeffbo1

Please find my comment below.

As for attaching mufflers to the exhaust pipes of Douglas Mark 3-5 series, my advice is definitely not to make any additional straps or lugs to the silencers. This would spoil the looks of the bike.

Instead, wrap a couple rounds of aluminium adhesive tape around the end of the exhaust pipe and slip the muffler over the tape. 

Then just tighten the muffler clamping nut.

If the muffler still feels loose, add some more aluminium tape to the joint.

The aluminium tape between muffler and exhaust pipe will provide more friction between the steel surfaces, thus preventing the muffler slipping.

Anyway, it is still recommended to check the tightness of the clamping nuts every now and then.

Let's hope that this comment and the other advice in this topic will prevent you losing the mufflers of your Douglas.

Best regards

Erkki
Vaasa, Finland

Offline Jeffbo1

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2013 at 20:54 »
WOW you guys are awesome! All good ideas worth visiting....I think with your thoughts and ideas I will be on my way to riding without worrying about chrome mufflers and bits flying down the road after departing my exhaust pipes...many thanks to you all, I appreciate your creativity...many thanks

Jeff

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2013 at 17:26 »
No wonder the T35 had a woffel box...... :lol: