Author Topic: Dad's wheel  (Read 3462 times)

Offline grumble

Dad's wheel
« on: 16 Jun 2011 at 10:03 »
I hope one of your members may be able to assist me with the identification of this wheel that belonged to my Dad,it sat in the roof of the garage since I was a kid.Dad had a Douglas motorcycle in pieces in a few boxes and we were going to assemble it one day.Unfortunately my Dad lost his sight and had to retire early,i married and had a family of my own,during this time the Douglas and the A model were sold to a local enthusiast that we had known for a long time. I only became aware of this after Dad passed away. We are now trying to identify the wheel from the roof.It is 575mm overall diameter and 52mm wide,on the spindle it has DOUGLAS stamped,I also have a few pics. if someone could help identify this wheel I would be grateful.Cheers Les

« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2011 at 10:43 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: Dad's wheel
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2011 at 10:44 »
Photos added.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2011 at 09:03 »
Yes Les, Judging by the heavy spokes  I believe you have the front wheel from a 4 hp Doug up to 1924 This being the 600 SV with the oil sump as part of the crankcase. I know that the wheels could be stamped Douglas or DOUGLAS but am not sure of the dating for this.

regards Alan

Offline grumble

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:11 »
Hi Allan,thank you for your reply unfortunately the picture of the Douglas stamping on the hub didn't come out very well and I didn't like to clean it up too much. The year model helps me out. Regards les