Author Topic: new member  (Read 8478 times)

Offline Ruurd

« on: 30 Dec 2004 at 07:57 »
Hello to you all, i think off buying a EW 1925 Douglas i know very little of this model and about the parts that are available therefore i have a few
questions.
Are there still enough parts on this planet to fullfill a complete restoration.
Wich parts are extremely difficult to get.

I am waiting for pics when they arrive i will put them on this Forum.
It will take about 2 weeks,the guy i am buying from (my uncle) is now abroud.

I hope you can help me with these questions. :?

p.s i have one more question does the model CW ring a bell ??
I am looking for pics on the internet but up to now I haven't found one.

sorry for my poor English
greetings from Ruurd
Holland

Offline Stuart Lister

« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2004 at 16:25 »
Hello Ruurd

I too am busy restoring an EW and, because mine was left out in the rain for forty years, I have had to find lots of parts.

Firstly, you should join the London Douglas Motorcycle Club (LDMCC). The pre war spares scheme is very good, and can supply you with most of the items which you would expect to replace through the life of the machine; springs, valve guides, pistons, even valves. But the list is not comprehensive, and the bigger items you will have to find yourself.

There are plenty suppliers for standard parts like chains, handlebar levers, mudguards, carburettors, magnetos etc, and at least two manufacturers listing EW exhaust systems. The area you will find the most difficulty will be the bits that are unique to the EW like petrol tank and footboards. Used engines and gearboxes are fairly easy to find.

I have found that wanted adverts in the LDMCC magazine usually work and the parts section of this forum sometimes has EW parts for sale. The EW was quite a popular model in it's day, so the parts are out there, but you sometimes have to be patient.

I have a few bits and pieces for sale, so if there is anything you specifically need, let me know.

Good luck with your project,

Stuart.

Offline Ruurd

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2004 at 17:25 »
Thanks Stuart

I do not have the project in my hand yet so I can't send any pics
I tell you the story.
My uncle is over in Holland for two weeks and he say's he has
at least 2 complete douglasses and several other parts for the EW and the CW. I do not have ANY experience in restauring what so ever The last 23 years I was only busy riding but I can not let this chance pass. The price in my oppinion is good.
When I know more I will tell you.

Greetings Ruurd

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2004 at 03:53 »
Ruurd,

As Stuart says, the EW was a popular model, so Douglas made quite a number from mid-1926 to 1928 (and variations of till 1932.)  Many have survived and parts for the same.  Mechanically the engine is about as simple as it gets, and quite durable so long as high RPM is not indulged in.  Like most vintage motor cycles, sheet metal is the most difficult item to replace.  Besides that mentioned by Stuart, the mudguards were made of very thin material to keep the weight down, so are vulnerable to rust.  

The CW model Douglas was the last of what is known as the 2-3/4hp models.  It is also a 350cc, three-speed, all chain drive, flywheel clutch.  The EW replaced the CW.  If you want a upright veteran look, the CW is a much taller frame, dummy belt rim brakes, indeed a design for Douglas that stretches right back to just before World War One.  

But the engine and transmission are much updated for the EW, the frame lower, and all in all more refined motor cycle.  So if you want a vintage flat-tank machine that is more forgiving on the road and needs less maintenance and adjustment, the EW is a better bet.  

In regards to restoring or finding parts is about the same for either the CW or the EW.  

-Doug

Offline Ruurd

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2004 at 09:04 »
Thanks guys I am getting more and more excited about this project
hope the pics I am getting in about two weeks will not dissapoint me.
It seems promissing to me.
maybe 2 complete ones and loads of spareparts so probably in the future
I got some parts to sell to help me out of the costs.

greetings from Holland

Ruurd

Offline Ronald

Bought them??
« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2005 at 22:00 »
Hi Ruurd.

Have you bought the Douglasses you were so exited about?

Maybe we can exchange experience. Send me an email.

Kind regards from the sunny and cold Netherlands,

Ronald.

Offline chev25250

got it yet
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2005 at 08:18 »
Ruurd
Did you get the bike(s) you were after ? What abt a few photos for Douglas fans
Rgds Paul