Author Topic: new bike  (Read 7053 times)

Offline Mc gherkinshaw

new bike
« on: 11 Dec 2006 at 08:24 »
What have I got? eng.No 77577, g.box LG 50326 frame G?6901
and I would like to know the shape of the rear stand hold-up latch

Mc gerkinshaw

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: new bike
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2006 at 08:49 »
The engine number would date and define the engine as being a 2.3/4 hp unit from approx 1925. the gearbox as a two speed unit from the early 1920s and the frame number probably having a CF pre-fix (not G?) and the following four digit number identifying it as belonging to a 1925 CW model.
Rear stands spring clips are available to members of the London Douglas Motorcycle Club from their extensive range of spare parts for this and related models. Chris.

Offline roy

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2006 at 11:24 »
How about a photo? would be helpfull. Roy.

Offline Mc gherkinshaw

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2006 at 06:56 »
Many thanks guys, do I get in touch with London, or is there access here for parts?  She is running but my left trouser leg got caught in the primary chain now I'm down one pair of jeans. Was there a guard made for this 1925 model?  Mc gherkinshaw

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2006 at 13:19 »
Hi  It makes sense for any Douglas owner to become a member of the LDMCC. You will receive an excellent magazine every two months with free advertising for your needs or items for sale, have access to spares, technical advice, and contact with over 1100 members with similar interests. The cost is currently only £12.00 a year. To reach their web site with application form for membership, go to http://www.douglasmotorcycles.co.uk/
Further thoughts on your bike; If it is a CW model, it should have a three speed gearbox and flywheel clutch also chain final drive.
The thought passed through my mind that if the frame prefix was in fact a 6 rather than a G or C then it is more likely to be a TS model which was clutchless and had belt final drive. There should be a minimalist chain guard comprising little more than a semi circular section guard about 1" wide covering the top run of the chain and the back of the gearbox sprocket.   Chris.

Offline Mc gherkinshaw

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2006 at 08:47 »
Many thanks Chris, you are correct, it is clutchless and appears to be a CW. Joining the London club is also good advice. Thanks again.   Bruce.