Author Topic: Oil for 2.75HP Douglas  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Oil for 2.75HP Douglas
« on: 06 May 2006 at 06:33 »
We have been having some discussions about what oil to use in the Douglas (and similar total loss systems). I have been using a 50 weight Penrite Shelsey oil which seems to have been satisfactory. However, a number of people have started using two stroke oil in veterans. Has anyone had any experience of this in the Douglas ? Apparently one of the benefits is that it burns very clean. If anyone has used it successfully, what type of two stroke oil have you used ?

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
Re: Oil for 2.75HP Douglas
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2006 at 03:25 »
im not sure if u can use it but u must take into account that 2 sroke oil hovers around 20 weight so it will flow quicker may need a restrictor to slow flow down
motorcycle 2 sroke would be better than marine 2 stroke as this is designed to run at lower temperatures
as for the cleaner burning a 50 weight oil is harder to burn than a 20 weight oil hence the smoke but a thinner grade engine oil will do the same altough 2 sroke oils are designed to burn more freely
the other problem to consider is that if an engine was designed to run 50 weight oil then bearings and clearances would have been calculated for that oil and to drop to 20 weight which when hot runs like water may cause problems
even gearing is designed around how much oil it will lift
ian your best bet is to ring someone like castrol and talk to one of the service people before i would use it in an engine it may smoke less but could do some serious damage without some type of modification or engineering

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: Oil for 2.75HP Douglas
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2006 at 07:05 »
Thanks Trevor. With regard to the restrictor that is already in place on the older bikes as the oil flow is controlled by the drip feed. I certainly would not entertain running it in a recirculating oil system - only reason I ask for experiences is that a number of the veteran people swear by it on their total loss systems. I think the oil companies woyuld throw up their hands in horror if I asked them a question like this !! Worth a try though.