Author Topic: Douglas grey handlebar grip  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Douglas grey handlebar grip
« on: 28 Apr 2004 at 04:07 »
I am looking for a good color image of the grey handlebar grip used on early 1930s model Douglases.  Reproduction black grips are already available on the market, and it seems the grey grip has the same size, shape, and pattern.  They were used on other machines of the era it seems.  Douglas fitted them in conjunction with a straight-pull AMAC twist grip, and other machines used this throttle as well.  If a color sample can be provided, the current supplier of the black grips will mold a batch in grey.  I have heard various rumors someone is already reproducing these in grey.  But so far it has been ‘some bloke in England’, or ‘heard it was this guy in Ireland’, but no solid leads.  Anyone know?  Thanks,  

-Doug

Offline TonyC

Re: Douglas grey handlebar grip
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:39 »
Hi Doug,

Did you find a source for the grey handlebar grips?
The one on the F29 is a grey one although very perished, but could be cut to give a clean colour match

Regards
Tony

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2017 at 13:16 »
Tony,

No, no one came forth with a color sample at the time. It has been so long, I cannot even remember who the 'current supplier' was (!) other than it was likely Dial Patterns or whoever the LDMCC was buying from at the time. I still need several sets.

-Doug

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2017 at 21:30 »
It's Jim Hunter Engineering in Solihull that you want Doug. I bought a pair of grey grips for my BSA some years ago from him. Mind you, they are not much good in warmer climates, they turned to sludge over one hot summer - apparently they are air cured, ok for cooler climates apparently. Now that I live in Tasmania they might last a bit longer! I must order some more

Cheers, Graeme

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2017 at 22:40 »
Graeme,

Now that you mention it, I have heard of Hunter Engineering, sometimes Jim and now apparently Jeff. My understanding is some of the repro stuff was prone to tearing and splitting. Part of the nature of using a room temperature cure urethane instead of a much more expensive catalyzed silicon rubber. I have not heard of it turning to goo! O.k. in Victoria, marginal in New South Wales, and don't even think about it in Queensland?  :)

-Doug