Author Topic: Footpegs for OC600 and similar  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Footpegs for OC600 and similar
« on: 05 Jun 2006 at 07:01 »
I have decided that I am going to fit footpegs to the OC rather than the running boards - and will probably attach them directly to the frame mount as this is the most comfortable angle for me (OC also had a mounting system for footpegs or running boards that allowed them to be in various further forward positions).

I have no pattern for what the footpegs would have looked like - anyone got any patterns or ideas ? I guess without information to the contrary I will just machine up some round ones and put generic footpeg rubbers on.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Footpegs for OC600 and similar
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jun 2006 at 11:12 »
The London Douglas MCC spares scheme has two types of Rubbers for footrests. The OC600 fitted with pegs would have had the "D" shaped rubbers with a radius underneath to sit over a side frame tube but mounted in a frame with end plates clamping on the tube and supported by 1/4" diameter rods passing through the rubbers and riveted into the end plates. These rubbers have the word "Douglas" moulded into the top ribbed surface.

Later machines with conventional forged rootrest pegs used a larger oval moulded rubber that pushes onto the peg. This also has "Douglas" moulded into the surface.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2006 at 21:59 »
Thanks Chris. Just to clarify - the earlier ones clamp onto the frame tube and the later ones slip over a more standard round footpeg ? On the OC either style of mounting involved just screwing the footpeg in - if directly to the frame then there is a lug that sticks out sideways with a threaded hole in the end - and if using the adjustable mount it is threaded holes in a plate attache to the frame. If I read your post right I would need the later style ?

You can see from the attached photo which has the plates attached how it works - if I leave the plates off I can attach directly to the rear lug they bolt to.

Larger view
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2006 at 06:20 by alwyn »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jun 2006 at 03:11 »
Ian,

The brackets shown, that clip to the frame, as you say can be used with either footboards or with footpegs. So far this is identical to what they used on the F28 (600cc sidevalve.) Assuming the rest of the footpeg was the same, then I can help with drawings. The drawings have to be finished first, as I drew them up on the computer whilst they were on loan to me from another Douglas enthusiast and wanted to get them returned promptly, and I have yet to get around to dimensioning them.

But a brief description, in case you get an offer (what luck!) There is a forged cranked arm, to which a thinwall tube is brazed, making the 'peg'. Over this tube mounts the D-shaped rubber Chris mentioned. The other end of the crank has the famous Douglas serrated face joint. Used in conjunction with the cranked arm, is a cam lobe shaped plate. It has a matching serrated joint, and a through hole for a shoulder bolt to affix to the flatbars you have mounted to your frame. The nose of the 'cam' has a projection to fit in the adjacent tapped hole, so that the serrated plate does not spin about.

-Doug

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jun 2006 at 07:46 »
Thanks Doug for all the info - most useful