Author Topic: Douglas Frames?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline SteveW

Douglas Frames?
« on: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:33 »
I'm a volunteer at the Milntown Trust in the Isle of Man, which houses the Bob Thomas Collection, and includes a number of vintage cars and motorcycles. The motorcycles include Douglas and ABC, and there are many parts which we are trying to identify. Having had a few post war Douglas models, I can identify those, but we are struggling with anything that might be Douglas and pre war.

Amongst the parts are three frames (photos attached). Anybody recognise these as Douglas or any other make?

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Douglas Frames?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2021 at 13:48 »
The first one is a bit tricky. Could be a 1934 600cc model Z or, as it was called in 1935, a Wessex. Alternately it could be a 1935 Blue Chief, though lack of the knock-out rear spindle suggests against that (depending if any Blue Chiefs were sold without that option).

Frame codes:
FN     1934 model Z
FW    1935 Wessex
FZ     1935 Blue Chief  (FV with knock-out spindle)

The second photo of the pair of frames is easy. 1935 Endeavour. Cannot be anything else!

Frame code:
AA     1935 Endeavour

-Doug
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2021 at 15:59 by Doug »

Offline SteveW

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2021 at 14:24 »
Thanks Doug. I'll see if I can find the frame numbers and check them.

Steve

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2021 at 15:56 »
Steve,

The Endeavours were stamped on the saddle lug, vertical socket, left-hand side. There will also be present the Douglas of Kingswood superimposed D&K trademark. Sometimes this is used as a terminator, so do not mistake it for an extra numeral.

Not 100% certain, but expect the others were stamped in the same place. Some side valve models had it on the on the horizontal socket.

-Doug

Offline SteveW

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2021 at 16:56 »
Doug,
The two Endeavour frames are both stamped AA177. I thought that a bit strange as I expected them to have unique frame numbers.

The only number I can find on the other frame is  11205-1. Its on the saddle lug at the top but has been cast into the lug, as opposed to being stamped in.

Regards,
Steve

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2021 at 21:04 »
Steve,

Hmmm, they should be unique serial numbers. Douglas may be the "Best Twin", but they are not monozygotic... !

As for the other, that is a Douglas part number for the lug. The part number dates back to the S6 era (c1930), and the factory drawing survives. I pulled up a photo of my 1932 Greyhound which uses the same lug casting for the frame's number location. Look forward on the horizontal lug (see attached).

-Doug

Offline SteveW

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2021 at 17:02 »
Doug,
The fame number on the single frame is FW195, so I am assuming, from your information, a 1935 Wessex.

On closer inspection I think one of the Endeavour frames is AA172, but its a poor stamping and difficult to be precise.

Steve