Author Topic: Douglas engine identification  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Aero

Douglas engine identification
« on: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:23 »
This has popped up for sale fairly local to me. I have no use for it but wondered what it might have been fitted to? Only input from the owner is its 600cc.

Offline RegH

Re: Douglas engine identification
« Reply #1 on: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:04 »
This engine appears to be from a Douglas Industrial Power Truck. Not sure about the year of manufacture but the engine number may give a clue. This is located on the flywheel section of the crankcase behind the magneto. The carburettor fitted to these trucks would have been a Solex 26 F.H.
Reg

Offline Aero

« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2019 at 16:18 »
Thanks for the info Reg. The seller should hopefully get back to me tomorrow with the engine number so I will post it up on here when he does.

Offline Aero

« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep 2019 at 11:42 »
FT4073

Offline RegH

« Reply #4 on: 08 Sep 2019 at 11:01 »
Thanks for the engine number which judging by the prefix letters FT was used to power a range of five industrial trucks which were made under licence from Douglas by Withers (W.N.) Ltd of Wordsley, Stourbridge, Worcestershire. The manufacture of these trucks (the SERIES 10)under licence were undertaken shortly before and after the take-over of Douglas by Westinghouse in 1956.  I would suggest the year of manufacture going by the engine number would be around 1957-58. The first industrial truck made by Douglas appeared in 1928 and basically the design of the truck/engine has remained unchanged with the engine being developed from the 596cc side valve motorcycle engine fitted to the larger of the EW models of that period. The main differences from the earlier engines was that the Series 10  engines had cylinder heads made from light alloy castings and had a fabric type cylinder head gasket with the earlier models having solid copper ring joints.
Reg