Author Topic: Identify an Spanish Douglas  (Read 7878 times)

Offline tosalemal

Identify an Spanish Douglas
« on: 30 Jan 2015 at 17:29 »
Hello everybody,

I just introduce myself, and now here it comes the question, i discover a man in my city that hast a Douglas or at least he says it is, i know the fork and the engine it is not the one must wear, so i can not make a good idea about which model it is. But i have the engine and the frame numbers, could you help me to find the model?

Engine: JE 534
Frame: ALCH 223

I know that this motorcycle was register in spain in 1944, but i can not get more information. i read the 3 guides in the forum, but i have not find the model.

May this photo help?

Please some help for a newbie.

Online Doug

• Administrator
Re: Identify an Spanish Douglas
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2015 at 23:48 »
Despite the name painted on the tank, it is not a Douglas. Someone else might know what the make and model is.

The rear wheel and possible the petrol tank may have come from a Douglas; they have generally the right shape. Does the petrol tank have a well for an instrument panel?

-Doug

Offline oil baron

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2015 at 08:07 »
Hi there
I suspect the back half of the frame from under the what looks very much like a Douglas 3 speed gearbox to up under the saddle is Douglas, including the rear wheel, fitted on to a non Douglas front half of the frame, with a very none flat twin engine fitted. I don't now how good the frame would be without a proper seat tube I agree with Doug that the tank could be very 1935ish  Douglas.  Probably it had to be called a Douglas after the rebuild because the paperwork said that is what it was.

Cheers 
SteveL
Steve L

Online Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2015 at 13:31 »
Steve,

You are right. That is a Douglas 3-speed gearbox. I must be going blind!

-Doug

Offline tosalemal

« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb 2015 at 13:53 »
Thank to everybody.

I read yours replies the other day, but i did not want to reply till i get more photos, now i have some photos that could bring a bit more of light:

Frame:

wheels: may be the front wheel it is from other model...

And the tank

After this i dont know to think.. front middle frame from i don't know, rear frame form Douglas, the metal plate or whatever it is between the rear frame and the seat tube i think was melted to create the proper position with the other half frame..

i would like to know what model it is, i mean, at least in papers, because i think that the frame and motor serial numbers must show which model should be, isn't it?

Engine: JE 534
Frame: AL-CH 223

What else could you tell me? any book where to find it?

Thank you for your kind attention and time.

Online Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 02 Feb 2015 at 14:16 »
Portions of the rear sub-frame are Douglas 350EW (1925-1929). The transmission mount is homemade, but similar to the idea that Douglas used. The rear wheel appears to be 350EW Douglas as well, though it has been replaced with a drop-center rim. The EW used beaded edge (clincher) rims. The petrol tank is not Douglas. I can see a little more of the recess for the instrument panel and it is not the right shape. On the Douglas it would be 'heart' shaped (1934-35). Also it looks as if there is a cut-out for the nose of the saddle. A Douglas would not have this cut-out.

The engine and frame prefix codes are not Douglas. Outside of my experience, so I cannot be of help there.

-Doug

Offline RockDr.

« Reply #6 on: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:35 »
The front forks and handlebars appear to be Sunbeam..... however not 100% sure. Possibly a 1950's S8

Offline ccew350

« Reply #7 on: 03 Feb 2015 at 18:05 »
Hi. I spent a few happy hours last night trying to find information about this bitsa.
I checked in a 1967 Vintage MCC machine register and could not find any frame which matched AL-CH. The only JE engine number was for a v twin Harley. Definitely not.
The only machine that i could find that was similar was a 1928 Royal Enfield Model 501.  An internet check will throw up some pictures.
Can you take photos of the engine and frame numbers showing where they are positioned.
Hope this helps. Colin.
colin

Offline tosalemal

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2015 at 22:11 »
Hi to everybody

First of all, thanks a lot for your time and consideration with me and with the purpose of the topic.

Excuse my delay, i did not wanted to write till get more photos, i have tried to visit the seller to check directly the motorcycle and find all the odd thinks done on it, the seller finally send me this photos that im posting.

After read your posts, i realised that the frame could be a 1929 EW 350 model, also de front half, in deed i check that the top bar of the frame was blend to fit the actual gas tank, (should be something like the green line). A part of it the serial number is positioned in the frontal pipe (is this the name? red circle).

The followings images are:

From the rear and front mudguard:

Rear and front hub:

the engine is this one, there is no numbers on it, just one small D (i dont really know if this is a british engine... could be a 1928 Magnat Debon 350??? what do you think?):

And finally the gearbox, maybe is a 29 ew gearbox? is this cluch complete? should it have more cork discs?

The front fork and the handlebar could be Sunbean, but i dont know, because in the photos i find seems different...

I have been looking for this serial numbers all this days, but it is impossible to find anything. now i am trying to find photos of the 350 EW 29 model, but it is not easy to find images of parts of this model, Frame, engine, gearbox, etc...

Anyway to find more info?? and of course thank you very much for your time, (past an future)

Regards.
Jaime