Author Topic: Clutch cam operation  (Read 920 times)

Offline saluki42

Clutch cam operation
« on: 01 Apr 2021 at 09:26 »
Hi I'm hoping somebody cam enlighten me about the clutch cam operation for my 1934 600. Firstly are there two interacting parts to the cam system or just the one shown in a number of exploded diagrams. Secondly if only 1 piece does the cam run against the steel pin protruding from the crankcase's bearing boss which I thought was just a locating pin.
Hopefully I've explained that clearly enough and somebody can help.

Chris

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Clutch cam operation
« Reply #1 on: 01 Apr 2021 at 17:52 »
Hi Chris,
              There are 2 components to the prewar clutch release. As you say - the crankcase's main bearing boss has a single steel pin. The static part of the clutch release fits over the boss and is located by the pin - it is basically a steel ring with 3 radial pins equi-spaced around it - these pins carry hardened steel rollers. The back of the ring  has (usually) 3 slots to fit over the locating pin on the crankcase. The second part of the clutch release has 3 ramps (to match the 3 pins and rollers) and incorporates the operating arm (to take the clutch cable). Providing the static ring with the option of 3 positions gives a small amount of adjustment of the free movement - and the correct position has to be established by trial and error.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline saluki42

« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2021 at 11:11 »
Hi Eddie that clears up that question. As far as the moving part is concerned I have 3 in slightly different styles but of the fixed part unfortunately I don't have one at all but at least I know what I'm looking for.

Chris

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2021 at 13:07 »
You are looking for one of these:

Note they come in a variation of the number of slots, but that is not really critical.

-Doug