Author Topic: e/mark petrol tank filters.  (Read 3861 times)

Offline george sutton

e/mark petrol tank filters.
« on: 30 Oct 2009 at 11:09 »
early marks had a VERY fine mesh copper or brass gause soldered to the inside of the pet tank tap. Anyone know where i can obtain it please . only need a few square inchs.   OR, is there an alternative that wont desolve in unleaded fuel ? george S.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: e/mark petrol tank filters.
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2009 at 00:54 »
George,

Well it depends on where you are located. In the USA, this type of stuff is readily available from industrial suppliers like McMaster-Carr. A link to their web page listing wire mesh is here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-mesh/

And you can browse the material and mesh sizes available under "woven cloth", but for example the smallest openings for given materials are:

Bronze, 0.003" opening, 0.0021" wire, 12"x12" sheet, US$25.81
Brass, 0.006" opening, 0.0045" wire, 12"x12" sheet, US$7.48
Stainless Steel, 0.0015" opening, 0.001" wire, 12"x12", US$25.58 (finer available but it gets pricey)

The last you would have to epoxy on to your valves, but the mesh would be guaranteed fuel proof!

By the way, McMaster has no minimum order (no account required with credit card orders), and they do ship world wide. However the post would be cheaper if you could find a similar firm closer to where you live.

-Doug

Offline george sutton

Re: e/mark petrol tank filters.
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2009 at 07:11 »
Hi Doug,  thank you for a quick feedback, think i've found a uk supply, but i'll keep yours in my favourites for ref;  cheers George