Author Topic: barrel removal t35  (Read 5334 times)

Offline max1956bikes

barrel removal t35
« on: 24 Oct 2008 at 10:39 »
im removing of barrels,got head of no problem,i have undone the 6 nuts holding on barrel but its stuck fast i have hit with block of wood but no avail,i have looked down pushrod tunnel no bolts seen in there,am i missing something ? richard.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: barrel removal t35
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2008 at 11:46 »
Hi Richard,
                  The only thing holding the barrel should be the 6 base nuts - plus, of course, sheer stubbornness!! Probably some form of gasket cement has been used in the past, which has tried to weld the barrel on. You could try replacing the head, and then with the base nuts undone about 2 turns, try kicking the engine over - the compression may have the required effect and start lifting the barrel. Once the barrel has started to move, it should come off quite easily.
                                     Regards,
                                                Eddie.

Offline max1956bikes

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2008 at 10:03 »
great thanks i did not want to force it then find a hidden nut some where,i was thinking about putting head back on and giving some kicks.it has new piston and vavles fitted 20 years ago but not ridden  far since,but it smokes badly so i am hoping rings are stuck.richard.

Offline richson

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2008 at 21:27 »
Hi Richard,
                  The only thing holding the barrel should be the 6 base nuts - plus, of course, sheer stubbornness!! Probably some form of gasket cement has been used in the past, which has tried to weld the barrel on. You could try replacing the head, and then with the base nuts undone about 2 turns, try kicking the engine over - the compression may have the required effect and start lifting the barrel. Once the barrel has started to move, it should come off quite easily.
                                     Regards,
                                                Eddie.

Hi Richard, Eddies suggestion is a good method, but obviously, don't refit the pushrods when you try it. You could also use a hot air gun to warm the joint - they are quite gentle and will help to soften some jointing compounds.

Cheers,

Neil