Author Topic: MK5 Magneto  (Read 1642 times)

Offline digcot65

MK5 Magneto
« on: 14 Apr 2018 at 15:18 »
Checking more of the wiring, some of which has been done by someone without a clue.What is the connection coming out of the magneto cap, at the moment there is just the remains of a broken connector, also now that I have wired the cutout switch wire to the magneto connection, nothing happens when the button is pressed and the engine is ticking over.Before the wire went from the switch to the frame !!! Len

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: MK5 Magneto
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2018 at 15:35 »
Len,
        We have already been through this! I have already explained that the cutout wiring is simply a single wire that connects the cutout switch (on the handlebars) to the points cover (the one you now say has a broken connector). The wire does NOT go to the earth terminal on the magneto body - that would be the same as putting it direct to earth.

Eddie.

Offline digcot65

Re: MK5 Magneto
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2018 at 16:18 »
I wasn`t sure what the terminal on the magneto was, now I understand how the engine cuts out with this conected to the button.Next onto the dynamo, there is no movement on the ammeter, when the lights are switched on, I expected a discharge to be shown.I haven`t measured the voltage out of the dynamo as yet, should be tomorrow.I repolarised it and then ran it with the two terminals connected to the battery +ve and case to earth not very fast but it ran.