Author Topic: MK5 Timing  (Read 2570 times)

Offline dalgrae

MK5 Timing
« on: 15 Jul 2014 at 12:45 »
I will be picking up my refurbished mag/dyno tonight and intend to refit it to the bike this weekend ,so please any hints or tips of how to achieve this would be most welcome ,I understand the general principal so is it just a case of following the instructions ,I take it I will need some sort of restraining tool to hold the gear once the timing is set to tighten it up onto its taper

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: MK5 Timing
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2014 at 13:33 »
The procedure for timing the mag is explained in the owners handbook. However, what it doesn't mention, is that the ignition on Postwar Douglases is fully advanced with the cable tight (most British bikes have slack wire advance). I have found that attaching a timing disc to the front of the crankshaft hampers access to the mag pinion for tightening the nut, so I resort to measuring the height of the piston before TDC. By my reckoning, 36 degrees is .276" before TDC. I usually time my bikes up with a couple more degrees advance, on the basis that it gives a bit more to play with - and I have never found any situation where full retard is needed. When you get the bike on the road, you will soon establish where the 'sweet spot' is with the advance/retard, and can then mark it with a thin strip of black tape on the lever.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline dalgrae

Re: MK5 Timing
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2014 at 14:14 »
Thanks very much for the advice

Colin