Author Topic: Stands and ride height T35 Mk1  (Read 3222 times)

Offline grav220

Stands and ride height T35 Mk1
« on: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:41 »
Hi
A follow on to the stand issue.
I also have problems getting my Mk1 on to its narrow alloy stand. It was initially difficult and after getting it running and taking a few turns round the block it is now impossible. Perhaps the suspension has settled? My bike looks quite low to the ground and I am wondering if the rear suspension has been set up properly. According to the book it is set by the angle of the forked levers to the horizontal, and this looks about right.
Can anyone measure the height of the frame for me please? Perhaps the distance from ground to the rear of the torsion/frame tubes, unloaded.
Thanks
Graham

Offline grav220

Re: Stands and ride height T35 Mk1
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2014 at 20:57 »
Please could somebody measure the height of a T35 frame from the ground (unladen)?
I see in "Spannerama" that the distance from the frame centre line to the bottom of the stand should be not less than 10".  Neville Heath implies earlier that the rear wheel should be off the ground with a correctly functioning stand so the frame height must be something less than 10"?
Happy Riding
Graham

Offline C Clay

« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2014 at 12:38 »
Hi Graham
I measured the height from the ground to the centreline of the torsion bar end piece (the aluminium cover), it is 220mm.
My bike does not have a centre stand so I have no experience with one.
The ends of the dog bone links are worn so it will sit a little lower than originally designed, by about 10mm I would estimate.
I do not know if this helps much.
Regards
Clinton

Offline grav220

« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2014 at 15:31 »
Hi Clinton
Thanks very much. Mine is 210mm at the same point. But I notice that the chain is close to the stand. If I increase the height the angle of the swinging arm will bring the chain even closer when unloaded (and presumably on rebound). Also the lower tubes of the frame are about horizontal, if anything lower at the front, so maybe I will leave it alone for now and get some more miles in.
Happy biking
Graham

Offline C Clay

« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2014 at 09:28 »
Hi Graham,
If it is lower at the front of the frame tubes maybe the fork springs are the problem. Mine came out in many pieces when I stripped the forks, a common thing apparently. Got new springs from club spares.
I measured the height to the centreline of the torsion bar at the front and it is 230mm. Distance from ground to centreline of the leading link pivot point, the chrome cover, is 310mm.
Regards

Clinton

Offline grav220

« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2014 at 20:38 »
Thanks for the help Clinton, I will start examining the front end tomorrow
Graham