Author Topic: Engine and gearbox reassembly into frame  (Read 3620 times)

Offline steveL

Engine and gearbox reassembly into frame
« on: 29 Mar 2014 at 12:28 »
Hi

I just want to make sure that there isnt an easier way to put the engine and gearbox back into my Mark V frame.

Im assuming the easiest is to assemble the engine and gearbox together on the bench (I'm going to leave the cylinders, pistons etc off), and then offer the combined unit into the frame.

A two person operation ? or can it be done by one ?

Anybody who's done this and got the scars to prove it, your comments would be much appreciated.

Steve.

Offline Roger Gibbard

Re: Engine and gearbox reassembly into frame
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2014 at 18:47 »
Putting a 'Mark' engine into the frame is a single-handed operation if the units a are kept separate.  Lift the engine in and slide forward as far as it will go, having first protected the frame tubes so that the paint doesn't get damaged - foam pipe lagging is ideal for this.  Then lift the gearbox into the frame, carefully slide the spline on the gearbox main shaft into the clutch plate, insert the seven Allen screws that hold the engine and gearbox together and tighten them progressively.  Roger.
G. Roger

Offline Roger Gibbard

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2014 at 18:58 »
Just a second thought, it's much easier to fit pistons and barrels (and tighten them down) on the bench.  Don't fit the heads, however, as they make the unit too heavy and difficult to manoeuvre.  Roger.
G. Roger

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2014 at 22:52 »
A further suggestion if you use Roger's method. If you have had the clutch off or apart, fit the gearbox initially while the unit is on the bench, this ensures the clutch plate and therefore the splines are centred and in line with the dog on the gearbox shaft. A tip for doing this is to operate the clutch lifting mechanism with a suitable lever (piece of wood!) and wedge it so that the clutch plate is free. This allows the gearbox to align itself more easily!!! once the gearbox is inserted and pushed completely home into the clutch bell housing, release the clutch so as to lock the plate in the central position. Remove the gearbox and put the engine into the frame as described by Roger. It is possible to swing the back of the engine upwards to help in aligning the gearbox. If you are doing this on your own a wooden support across the frame tubes holds the clutch housing firmly. I often put the front engine bolt in to act as the swivel point, it allows the engine to go forward but not to swing sideways damaging paint and Fingers!! :oops:
If the mag is fitted and engine timed it can be a help to slip the dynamo out, with the aluminium clamp removed there is more room.
Have fun, if you align the box first time your a better man than I! but persevere it will eventually fit :roll: (Maybe the next morning it will go straight in!!)
Dave

Offline steveL

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2014 at 08:50 »
Thanks all. Very heartening.

That sounds more straightforward than I thought it was going to be.

Steve.

Offline Vermont-Ian

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2014 at 15:00 »
Good idea to do this without oil in the gearbox.
As you tip the gearbox forward it can leak out through the bearing breather and get into the clutch.

Also, I would connect the clutch cable once the engine is in the frame, then you can operate the clutch with left hand while centering clutch plate with the right.  Also, operate clutch after getting the gearbox splines engaged and then the engine and gearbox just slip into place.

Ian (in Vermont, still waiting for snow to melt and salt to wash off roads).
Ian Stokes
Richmond, Vermont, USA
1948 Mk III
1936 Citroen 'Traction' 7C