Author Topic: Help please (Urgent)  (Read 6616 times)

Offline classicbike99

Help please (Urgent)
« on: 14 Dec 2013 at 09:58 »
I have come across a Douglas please see pictures. I have to decide in a few days if I want it.
The cams and cover is missing would these be hard to get.
Is it worth restoring in this order. I would see a restoration costing 3K plus the buying at 2K, I am thinking it is getting a bit too expensive.
Your thoughts please

Offline oily bloke

Re: Help please (Urgent)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2013 at 17:28 »
Hi,
Having rebuilt an EW from less that you have it is completely restorable. The downside is that I had lots of problems finding parts but the guys on this forum were exceptionally helpful and I have the ability to make stuff too.
Parts are difficult to come by but they are out there.
My own opinion is that 2k is too much but I am sure it would probably make that (I am a bit of a tight wad!!).
When and if it is finished you will have a really good fun ride that goes well, sounds good and, so far, reliable.
Good luck
Let us know what your decision is.
Andy

Offline ccew350

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2013 at 22:16 »
Hi. I agree with Andy, but looking at the pictures it looks like it has most of the rarer parts.
The only thing i noticed is the front forks look like they may be quite rusty and pitted. Also check the frame tubes. I had to get the rear diamond repaired and some new tubing. The brake drums also can get badly rusted on an uncared for machine and these are very hard to find.
If you do purchase it i recommend joining the London Douglas Motorcycle Club and check for the parts that are available.
As Andy says this forum is full of information and loads of very helpful and knowledgeable people.
Good luck.
Colin.
colin

Offline classicbike99

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2013 at 22:27 »
Thank you Andy and Colin for your thoughts, Is it a 1925 model, The seat has a metal strap that fits onto the top bar, is it a CW or TS
Forks are fine the good thing is a lot of oil has leaked on to the frame.
I am concerned about the finished price, I have seen EW sell for around 5K which makes this expensive

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2013 at 22:46 »
Hello cb99 , it is at least a `26 EW, appears to be missing the magneto and carby, I have seen timing covers on ebay, cams would be harder to find and price like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, regards Jim

Offline Edin

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2013 at 08:02 »
Hej Classicbike99
Please tell us where you are living,- and what currency you use (£-$ or what)
If you go on with the project - I shal try to help you.
Enclosed foto show a 1926 EW,- just about what you try to buy
Regards and good luck
Edin DK

Larger view
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2013 at 16:50 by Dave »

Offline classicbike99

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2013 at 10:24 »
Edin I live in UK so price is in pounds stirling.
What I need to know is this a rare model.
What its worth finished, I do not intend selling it but if I ever have to I want to get my money back.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2013 at 16:50 »
Photo added to Edin's post above.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2013 at 17:52 »
My guess is that purchase price +rebuild cost (excluding your time and trouble)= about final market price now, however by the time you complete it I guess the market price will have gone up a bit and by the you are bored with it a profit will appear.
what else would you do with it ? interest rates ain't moving for a few years yet.
 And finally I have it on good authority from a mate in Bristol they ain't making any more.....

Offline Edin

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2013 at 18:12 »
Hej Classicbike99
The EW 350ccm 1925-26 bike,- are not special rare,- but exelent to ride,- and reliable.
The price 2K,- is twofold the price from around here,- for an EW in that condition.
The EW bike from the picture in my first answer to you, have been sold 2 monts ago,- for a price of 8000,£
You are welcome to contakt me direct on email about restoring (easy english please)
Regards and good luck Edin DK

Offline ccew350

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2013 at 19:54 »
Hi cb99. I have just spent some time going back to some of my old post on this forum. As far as i can make out the machine is probably a 1927 model.
Looking at an old post Doug from America explain that they changed the gearbox and linkage for the 27 model. yours appears to have that same setup.
I am trying to restore an old EW350 that i have owned since the late 60s. It was about 70% complete but missing the difficult things like restorable brake drums and very rusted frame tubes. I was saving this for my retirement, but now retired have medical problems making it a slow process.
Being a pensioner will very limited funds i am hoping to spend as Little as possible.
Major expenses i have found are for example : wheel rims, beaded edge tyres and built with new spokes, probably around £500-600.Any serious crank problems or pistons and rebores, Andy [oilybloke] will be able to give you a good idea of price as he has had this done. We are old friends and i gave the major parts for him to build his machine. He started with a lot less than you would have.
I hope to complete my machine for less than 2k, but be prepared to wait for parts to turn up. Either via this forum, the LDMCC or the dreaded E- bay. Have patience and things Will turn up.
Sorry this went on a bit, good luck.
Regards Colin
colin