Author Topic: 1921 2 3/4 hp model W 3 speed gearbox lubrication  (Read 6095 times)

Offline olesuffolkbuoy

1921 2 3/4 hp model W 3 speed gearbox lubrication
« on: 15 Jul 2012 at 14:15 »
Can any members advise their practices re lubrication of the 1920's 3 speed gearbox?
With the manual calling variously for pumpfuls of 'heavy cylinder oil', greases and mixtures of the two, I wonder what other owners have found to be effective in terms of oil specs, viscosity and quantity and how long any re-charge appears to last between replenishments?
Thanks in advance.
Tony

Offline Doug

• Administrator

Offline olesuffolkbuoy

Re: 1921 2 3/4 hp model W 3 speed gearbox lubrication
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2012 at 23:27 »
Many thanks for the re-direction Doug.
Everything I needed to know.
I did try a search but clearly did not hit upon the right terms.
Just love the term 'groil' - shall be using it henceforth - even when not appropriate!

Tony

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2012 at 16:28 »
Morris Oils do a semi-fluid grease. www.morrisoilsonline.co.uk. I have just ordered some. If you are a member of the VMCC you can use the promotional code VMCC100 to get a discount. But of course you would have to be a member to do that... 

Offline olesuffolkbuoy

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2012 at 22:55 »
Hey Black Sheep,
Thanks for that. I like the Morris lubricants range and use the Golden Film 50 in all my old machines.
There are 4 semi-fluids to choose from on their site. Which did you go for?
I realise that in looking at their K84 product, I have come across this stuff before in small worm reduction gearboxes that I build into machines.
Anyway, not cheap, but then, what is these days.
Let me know which grade you opted for.
Will this be the first time you have used this type of lubricant in a Douglas g'box or have you used similar before?
I am a VMCC member so many thanks for the promo code tip.
Tony

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2012 at 12:56 »
Hi Tony,
I have just opened the parcel. It's K400EP. I think I chose that because that's the smallest can they make - 3 kg. Scientific, eh? Anyway, I'll have a go at putting it in as soon as I get a moment. First attempt will be with a hefty syringe. It might work...
Gordon.

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2012 at 08:51 »
It works! You can draw up the semi-fluid grease into the 60 ml syringe and squirt it straight into the gearbox. Ask for a 60 ml Baxta feeding tube syringe at the chemist. I put in 150ml. I hope it is the right amount. Anyone know? Gordon.

« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2012 at 20:27 by Dave »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2012 at 22:42 »
Gordon,

I do not think I have ever seen a recommended amount for filling the 2-3/4hp gearboxes, or how much to top up. I suppose the makers never thought it would stay in long enough for over-filling to be a problem! At the speeds encountered, I do not think you are going to be bothered by over-filling. Too much, and it will force its way out regardless and the worst you will have is a mess and small environmental disaster area.   :)  So I would keep track of how much you put in and keep increasing the quantity as much as you dare until it starts to work out along the shafts, then you know its limits for future reference. You will need to run the box more full than say if you were using a heavy oil, as even with the semi-fluid state it will be more prone to getting pushed aside and up into the corners of the box once underway. And you do not want to run short on lubrication.

Doug