Author Topic: T35 rear wheel fitting.  (Read 4042 times)

Offline george sutton

T35 rear wheel fitting.
« on: 06 May 2010 at 15:36 »
wondering WHY i've been unable to get proper chain ajustment OR, properly tighten the rear wheel. I have found that a washer is missing. my wheel has only held in by the backplate anchor bolt and  a pinching of the backplate against the chain adjuster..   surely this is not right !, The parts book shows a washer no. 17 going between anchor plate 22, and chain adjuster 41. so that the fork nips up on the backplate.   question then please  what is the thickness of said washer, ( or turned up to suit ?). Denis sutton.

Further to this:  I find that the spindle wheel nut on the drum side WILL NOT move at all.   i've turned a special nut to clamp the spindle on the o/s, but the sprocket side one appears to have been glued on !! this means of course i cannot get access to inner drum or spindle parts.   so whats the PROBLEM i hear you say?  have acquired two new nuts from club spares of 5/8" x 20 tpi. as in the parts book, BUT, the spindle on this bike has 5/8" x 24 tpi. listed in machinery handbook as' national fine, ( extra fine ).     i could cut off the affending nut carefully, BUT, please, please, can anyone tell me where i can get a couple of new ones. AND yes , i have tried plus gas, and heat also.   After overcoming all my engine, and carburation problems AND others ! now this. surely this bike is cursed.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2010 at 14:27 by george sutton »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: T35 rear wheel fitting.
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2010 at 06:13 »
Denis,
           If the threads on your wheel spindle are 5/8 x24tpi, then it is something that has been made up. This then begs the question, "Has the spindle been modified to be of the 'knock out type' as used on QD wheels?" This would account for the 'nut' on the drum side being unmovable. Also, if this nut cannot be tightened (with the conventional spindle), the drum side of the spindle will be free to move in the fork.
        If you check carefully, you will see that the chain adjuster fits outside the swinging arm, so should not be sandwiched between the backplate and leg of the swinging arm. The best way to check the thickness of the required spacer washer, is to wind back the chain adjusters to allow the wheel to 'self align' - then tighten the backplate anchor bolt (item 32, plate 17) (there should not be any spacers on this bolt between the fork and backplate) - now check the distance between the backplate and the fork leg, and make a spacer washer to suit. When you can gain access to the drum side, make sure all other spacers are fitted and that with the spindle nut nipped up (you may need a temporary spacer) the backplate does not rub on the edge of the drum. You should now be able to reassemble in the conventional manner.
                                  Regards,
                                             Eddie.

Offline Reg

Re: T35 rear wheel fitting.
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2010 at 18:07 »
Denis/Eddie

Have had a quick look at the rear wheel from a Dragonfly concerning a recent query I have had regarding spoke lengths. I have found the size of the rear spindle is 5/8" x 24tpi. This spindle and the rear hub are British Hub components so maybe a rear wheel Dragonfly spindle has been used. Have not looked closely at set up regarding back plate etc but will do so if you want later this weekend. I'm just wondering if you can get two wheel spindle nuts for the later Dragonflies fitted with British Hub brakes, this may solve your problems. These threads used by B.H. were British Cycle form which I believe were the same as Brass and Pipe threads. Taps and Dies are readily available from Tracy Tools in Devon.  Web site is www.TracyTools .com and email Info@TracyTools.com Tel.No. 01803 3286032 Hope this may be of some help.

Good luck
Reg

Quote of previous post removed - Dave, 15th May 2010
« Last Edit: 14 May 2010 at 21:31 by Dave »

Offline george sutton

Re: T35 rear wheel fitting. result.
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2010 at 06:50 »
Thanks Eddie/ Reg.    John Holmes says its a dragon fly spindle also.      The situation with it was exactly like you say Eddie, Backplate pinched tween anchor bolt and chain adjuster. however this spindle is no good,will have to cut the drive side nut off and remove it, to get access to plate ,shoes ,and inner spindle nut. only hopeing its done no damage to the b/plate .Am waiting to see if club spares have a new std one for the mk1.This wheel had been loose on this d/side, HOW anyone could do such shoddy work and pass it on ,beats me! the bike even had an MOT. Thank you Reg . for the tap/die info.

Quote of previous post removed - Dave, 15th May 2010
« Last Edit: 15 May 2010 at 07:00 by Dave »