Author Topic: Stationary Engine...I think  (Read 9297 times)

Offline carcrank

• Carcrank A day in the life of an old car tragic
Stationary Engine...I think
« on: 29 Jul 2007 at 07:26 »
When I bought my 1924 2 3/4hp a few months back it came with a Douglas industrial or stationary engine, I have attached a couple of photos. It has cast onto the flywheel side R.A.N. WORKS above the crank and RANDWICK 1916 below. Can anyone tell me about this engine?

« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2007 at 07:46 by Dave »

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: Stationary Engine...I think
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2007 at 01:29 »
This is very interesting. I have seen a similar engine fitted to a 1916 machine here in Sydney (Randwick is in Sydney for those unaware - and was where the Royal Australian Navy - RAN - supply depot was)   - minus the stationary engine oil sump etc. I spoke to the previous owner of this machine, and he told me that he had found that that these engines were used as generators to power electric wireless sets. Fascinating to see another one turn up!
Cheers, Graeme

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2007 at 02:53 »
Yes, one of many portable engines Douglas made for the Great War. Here are some pictures of a Douglas engine from a Marconi generator set (but without generator) that I found on the internet several years ago.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2007 at 12:15 by Doug »

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2007 at 04:00 »
G'day all
That answers the question about the adjustment controls on the carburettor I have had for years.....it's off one of their pump sets. I have kept it and a few other bits towards that early 2 2/3HP that I have been waiting for!
I seem to remember something about a RAN Douglas years ago too Graeme...was'nt it supposed to be brand new?
On the same tack a mate of mine has just found an ABC pump motor similar to the above....they must be coming out of the woodwork.
Howard.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2007 at 07:21 »
That is the one I am talking about  Howard. I remember the engine sitting in the window of Allparts in the late 70s. The bike with it fitted is now owned by Richard Czereba.