Author Topic: Sidecars  (Read 14125 times)

Offline bazza

Sidecars
« on: 16 Jul 2007 at 10:26 »
Hi,Has anyone put a sidecar on an EW if so where would one get one or how could you build one,has anyone got any photos??.
Something to think about would an EW cope with extra weight get the calculator out Doug and Alan got any of these in your collection.
I had a 350 Panther years ago a wet sump and long stroke it could handle sidecars, just an idea this cold evening in Batemans Bay.

See Ya'll   Bazza

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: Sidecars
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2007 at 23:16 »
Alan sent in this photo - text to follow.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2007 at 23:18 »
Hello Barry,    Yes I am glad to reply to your query on fitting a sidecar to the 350 EW.    First of all if you are thinking of fitting a passenger carrying chair forget it.  But if you are thinking of fitting a commercial type box and want something a little different go for it.   Although I cant put my hands on a pic of a Doug dealer or business using an EW Doug fitted with a delivery box I am sure someone will come up with one.  The frame would have to be of a very light weight, preferable with a light weight box, hinged at one end with coil springs at the other. I have taken a pic of some light weight frames for Dave to post and look forward to comment and pics from other forum members.     regards Al

Offline KiwiJohn

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2007 at 23:40 »
Those frames look like they might be suitable but I think it might be hard to find sidecar tyres for those wheels. :wink:

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2007 at 01:36 »
Indeed they did supply the 350 EW with a sidecar. As well as for the 2-3/4hp CW that preceded it, and the A31 model that followed. But if you have experienced the massive reserves of power of the solo 350EW, then you will know that the acceleration as an outfit will be underwhelming.

Well heed the factory caution to fit a smaller sprocket to the gearbox. Unfortunately the rear sprocket on the 350EW (if it retains its original wheel) is soldered to the brake drum which is part of the hub. So changes in overall gearing are restricted to the transmission sprocket.

If you go this route, I can get you some information for the bracket that clips to the rear chain stays (item B in the plan view.) I could get you something on the later A31 chassis, which probably changed very little from the 350EW from a few years prior. I also have a 1930 big twin chassis, which likely shares many similar features though it be heavier; it certainly is of a similar design. See picture here.

In turn, if you come across a hub and spindle, I could well use a sketch of it to replicate one for my sidecar.

-Doug

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2007 at 08:15 »
Hi all
   Thought you might like to see my 1925 CW sidecar outfit. This is a replica tradesman box made to the dimensions and specifications given in the Douglas catalogue of the period except that to further reduce weight I clad the box in aluminium instead of steel. An alternative single seat passenger sidecar body was also available but the prospect of pulling the extra weight of a passenger was just too daunting. The original concept was that with a quick demounting system the tradesman could carry out his trade during the week then change bodies to take the wife out for the weekend. The Chassis is not original Douglas but was a genuine 1920s chassis modified to provide "C" springs as per Douglas instead of the original quarter elliptic springs. As would be expected the performance of the outfit is not exactly sparkling but it does cope very well with most road conditions. It has completed a number of major classic "Runs" including Banbury although this year unfortunately the flywheel decided to part company from the crankshaft a few miles before the conclusion and loss of the clutch springs made it a trailer job.   Chris   

« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2008 at 03:17 by Dave »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2007 at 09:41 »
What do reckon Barry, excellent response to a simple request on a cold night well done forum. Al

Offline bazza

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2007 at 09:54 »
Alan sent in this photo - text to follow.

Hi Alan,like the idea of a tradesmans box,a friend and myself have started a community workshop here in the Bay and this could be a good promotional project to get more funding for our Mens Shed.MMmm??? !!!! the old brain is ticking over very fast.Got some new pistons from JP Engineering in S.A. so engine will be put together soon.Got some material for the clutch so we are pumping along.I must also tell you about my recent purchase a 1954 BSA Bantam oopps am I allowed on this forum.

Bazza

Offline bazza

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2007 at 09:56 »
What do reckon Barry, excellent response to a simple request on a cold night well done forum. Al
Terrific Al