Author Topic: Identify  (Read 4756 times)

Offline wrenjet

Identify
« on: 07 Jul 2007 at 16:03 »
Hi I haver a Douglas Motor cycle which I have owned for 47 years.I pulled it apart when I was 21 it has been in bits ever scince I was going to refurbish it. I have now retired and am at last going to try to put it back together again ,You could say this has been a long term project. Most of the parts are there but a few have gone missing not suprising after so long.I need to know what it is as I cannot see anything the same as this.I have  seen photos similar but none are the same. If I start by saying that I used yo ride this around my cousins farm when I was about 12 years old. I could get onto it as it was very low. It was then left in a barn until he gave it to me in about 59/60.
the colour of the machine was a Bluish green looked metallic,I have a small sample of paint somewhere, there is not any on the machine now as many years ago I sand blasted it with a view to starting resoration. But as you can see was not carried through.
I have the engine number which is EO 1417
Gearbox WG/T1255
Frame YF1462D   With a small k and r stamped
I have the book The Douglas Motor Cycle The Best Twin  by Jeff Clew which tells you what they are  but I connot make out what the model is from these parts
Can anyone help?

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Identify
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2007 at 18:40 »
Hi Wrenjet
    From the machine details supplied, the model is an S6 of 1930 manufacture. This is a 600cc sidevalve model. In fact this machine is listed in the London Douglas Club Machine Register. The engine number is EQ 1417 not EO1417. As originally listed it had a registration plate of OW 424? The last digit not known.  Chris.

Offline wrenjet

« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2007 at 19:55 »
Thanks Chris For the Information.I looked on the site that said find your model of bike. Looking at this with the engine number saying EQ not EO I assumed that this must be correct .Will examine the number in the morning and am sure that I will see Q, I did belong to the london owners club a few years ago, when I decided that I wanted to attempt restoration. I joined but forgot that I must have given the details then to the club. Do you know where I could find any more detailed information and pictures of thess machines.
I am located near Gt Yarmouth but do not know of any machines of this type nearby.

Thanks Chris Wren

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jul 2007 at 05:05 »
Hi Wrenjet
   John Withers of Western Australia,whose details are available on the Forum (just use the search facility), is able to supply at reasonable cost, replica Douglas publications for the S6 covering both care and maintenance (32 pages) and Spare Parts List (42 pages). You can obtain these by mail order. If you send me a private message I can reply with copies of a couple of photos as attachments.   Chris.