Author Topic: Douglas Replacement Pistons  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Stephen

Douglas Replacement Pistons
« on: 06 Jul 2007 at 04:51 »
Can anyone tell me what "off the shelf" Japanese piston suits the replacement piston for a 2 3/4hP Douglas. It needs to be 62mm diameter or thereabouts, with correct gudgeon to piston top distance etc.

I realise reproduction Douglas pistons are available but would like something more economical if possible. Thanks.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Douglas Replacement Pistons
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul 2007 at 09:54 »
 Hello Stephen,                           You can make Honda 750x4 pistons fit but, there is a little bit of work. Firstly you need to get inside and remove part of the gudgeon reinforcing of one side with an end mill. You will also have to narrow part of the small end of the rod.   Next you will have to make up four bronze bushes to bring the honda holes back to the Doug pin size. You probably wouldnt want to go down this road but I have -------cut the TS rod of close to big end and weld on Honda rod. When I did this I was still confident it was as strong as the original.    Not knowing your location but here in Aust we have motor mowers (of a fair age now) called the Victa VC 160,. and Briggs and Stratton motors. Pistons from these too need a certain amount of work  to fit.     regards Al

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jul 2007 at 23:14 »
Stephen, we get the from JP Pistons in South Australia - off the shelf - and they are not too badly priced.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jul 2007 at 23:36 »
Web site for JP Pistons - http://www.jp.com.au/JPPistons.html