Author Topic: Forum Spares Scheme  (Read 6759 times)

Offline Dirt Track

Forum Spares Scheme
« on: 03 Jul 2007 at 09:29 »
G'day all
I have several Douglas spares tucked away for a rainy day so to speak and I am sure other members do to.....bits we have collected over the years thinking "that might come in handy someday"....and of course sometimes they do, BUT a lot of bits are left gathering dust!
Would it be a good idea to have in this Forum a section devoted to who has what sitting on the shelf and is available for either sale/swap/trade or that word we used to use years ago FREE.
Yes I know there are people that would take advantage of the FREE bits, there always will be...but you quickly forget about them and move on.....and of course there would be no pressure to give parts away.
Just an idea for discussion.
Any comment?
Howard.

Offline tommy

Re: Forum Spares Scheme
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jul 2007 at 22:36 »
You already have a sales and wanted section.
Swaps can come under those headings also?
I will stay out of this one as I am trying to sell my rotting mellons to an Island!

Tom

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jul 2007 at 07:33 »
Hello Howard,   Yes maybe your idea has some merit.   Why I am answering your post, is the sharks that always seem to get me when I jump in boots and all.  Firstly the old trick with the postage it is nearly always overlooked. One occasion springs to mind a chap I had met a couple of times at Ballarat Swap from down the Murray River, rings and asks for some early veteran 2 speed cases with the large hole in one end and the extension the other.   Yes I had 3 mismatched numbered halves for $20. I posted on and the package clearly marked with the postage costs ( $13.50), and yes within days a postal note arrived for $20. I lost some valuable parts for $6.50, bargain?  Yes I know I probably have some valuable wanted parts stashed away, but the old trip to the PO, cant really be bothered. Prefer personal shoppers or swap meets.  regards Al

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jul 2007 at 09:07 »
Then again i sent a crankshaft to canada paid the postage and got my money and a few little presents as well
Mind u he was a member of the forum and if people ask and ive got a spare ill trust the people on here as the world of douglas if fairly small

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jul 2007 at 09:52 »
yes well, there was another deal on the forum but I can only guess the posty lost it or they simply forgot I said cover the postage.   And yes  often  lots of times we come out well on top.  Cant think of one at the moment but Just in case anyone knows the Phantom John with the wrong cases on his D28 they are still available. plus postage of course...   I received  them and some other parts for a slab and the freight,  from a customer of John Titman a famous Qld speedway rider, and supplier of good speedway bits--    Al
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2007 at 10:49 by Alan Cun »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2007 at 05:15 »
Hello All,     Further to my comment above, and the reluctance of any knowing parties to pass on the info to Phantom John:-- I then asked my old mate John Withers the manual man was he the Phantom D28 man, because I knew he had one.  But alas he wasnt, but as his cases were in a sad state and he would gladly take them off my hands. So  thats  that.      Al