Author Topic: 1925 Douglas Information.  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Brian Cape Town

1925 Douglas Information.
« on: 26 May 2007 at 08:46 »
Whilst being the owner of a post war Mk V model I find that I am somewhat ignorant of the technical details of the vintage machines.

I am considering putting in a telephonic bid at an auction here in South Africa for a 1925 Douglas, part of a deceased estate,

The auctioneer was able to give me the engine no 74044 which I think is a 1925 machine a 2 3/4 HP CW possibly.

My question " Is this machine fitted with a kick start and clutch ?"

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: 1925 Douglas Information.
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2007 at 11:43 »
Hello Brian  The 2and3/4 in Aust were 25and 26 should be stamped on timing cover   The TS and SW were 2 speed . The SW was a TS with clutch and kick starter both were belt drive.      The CW of the same year was all chain drive with brake belt shaped rims about 14 inch dia on both wheels     It had a flywheel clutch and a 3 speed gearbox and kickstarter.     A desirable bike for collectors if the price is right go for it.  Take into account that all the afore mentioned brakes are there.    Look else where on forum for a picture.   Regards Al
« Last Edit: 26 May 2007 at 12:38 by Alan Cun »

Offline Brian Cape Town

Re: 1925 Douglas Information.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2007 at 18:38 »
Thanks Alan .

Unfortunately the auction was a couple of days drive away and the Auctioneer was clearly not interested in a phone bid as the deposit he required to allow me to bid was twice as much as I have seen Vintage models of that type sell for. So that was that a pity really.

Cheers Brian