Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 24448 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Headlights
« on: 27 Apr 2007 at 05:01 »
Now that I have run my OC at the Centenary rally I am looking at doing the detail touches such as fitting carbide lights. What size light would originally have been fitted to the larger Douglas machines in the mid 20s ? What make ? (Lucas, P&H, etc)

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Headlights
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2007 at 08:01 »
Now that I have run my OC at the Centenary rally I am looking at doing the detail touches such as fitting carbide lights. What size light would originally have been fitted to the larger Douglas machines in the mid 20s ? What make ? (Lucas, P&H, etc)

The pictures tell the story sorry about the quality.  The headlight brackets are straight off the welding bench and would require finishing with an angle grinder and flap sander then bent to shape these were rejected because they were too long  If you go for cast ones dont drop or bend cold  they will probably break    I believe the originals were made of forged steel or by a blacksmith   Very few interchange with each other    Regards Al

Larger view

Largerview

Photos added 28/04/2007
« Last Edit: 09 May 2007 at 11:24 by Alan Cun »

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2007 at 09:39 »
One more trick if the concave mirror is missing make one from  Mini minor hubcap   Regards Al

I would think that the Mini hubcaps would be just as hard to find as the carbide lamps these days! :wink:
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2007 at 12:32 by alwyn »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2007 at 10:46 »
I would think that the Mini hubcaps would be just as hard to find as the carbide lamps these days! :wink:

comments removed  Al
« Last Edit: 07 May 2007 at 22:51 by Alan Cun »

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2007 at 23:06 »
The method for making tail lights looks interesting Alan. I will have to try to find one original one that I could use to get an idea of the overall look of them. There was a guy in Victoria selling replicas but he no longer has them.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2007 at 09:19 »
Hello Ian    Sometimes when I use the word we I am also referring to a mate who works with me on my bikes  I get to about 80 percent or less and park it .      Des Leech who is not a LDMC or forum member does the 2 hour drive up from Nambour and takes away a bike or 2 and brings them up to a museum state of retoration that is a goer but the magy and carb not rebuilt.    In return I have given him a E29 a TS1915  a TS 1925  and 2 B29. And any other parts he needs for his bikes.   Anyway getting back to the subject Des has made several  from the rega pumps  He is often seen rumaging around swaps for those old carbide pushbike and side lights to get the red glass eye also the car headlight shell that he can salvage the 5 cent size lucas badge    Not sure how he comes up the number plate window but he puts that in too. Sorry I didnt have a pic of one he hasnt slipped one my way yet. I have scavanged about 20 or more pumps for us but that can wait   But the replicas you talk about noticed a couple of them on my bikes I must have picked up at Bendigo.    Personally I like the P&H with that lovely little opening door .     There is a bigger version of the P&H   but looks too big for a Doug.  Des also gets transfers made by a computer graphics place in Nambour but I think they cant include the gold   They dont look out of place on my tanks.   regards Al

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2007 at 13:29 »
There was a guy in Victoria selling replicas but he no longer has them.

I saw some replica lights at the Motorcycle Emporium in Maldon - they looked pretty crude, so I didn't but any. If you are stuck, and don't mind paying over the odds, David Earshaw in the UK usually has taillights available.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2007 at 22:04 »
Thanks Alan. I agree the P&H ones I have seen look good. Hadn't thought of the idea of using old pushbike lenses, etc - must start hunting round !!

Graeme, how does one get in touch with David Earshaw ?

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2007 at 01:39 »
Ian
P & H rear acetylene lamps are not that hard to obtain really, I would not be bothered making one up at all!
You can pick them up NOS even in the original box if you want or they are sometimes available damaged and easily repaired.
I bought a P & H pattern rear lamp at an antiques show in Hobart a few months ago.
Be prepared to spend anything from £5 to £150. The P & H "Starlight" is a bicycle lamp...has no side lens for the No plate....yes of course some of the earlier lamps did not have a side lens either.
My god I can't believe the original headlamp brackets are that rare either...I have seen hundreds at swapmeets over the years.
I have David Earnshaw's email address if you want it...send me an email and I will forward it to you....but really you should be able to buy one fairly easily.
Howard.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2007 at 02:02 »
Thanks Howard - will keep an eye out. I need three at the moment - for the two Duggies and also for the Peerless I am trying to get ready for the Tassie rally !!

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2007 at 09:23 »
Hello All     Particularly you chaps south of the Qld border PLEASE send some of those traders with all those Doug parts up to our Bikes only swap meets  I went to Gatton in October and Maleny in March  and apart from seeing two dollar Brian with a Vet frame he had swooped on the day before the swap .    You could have fitted all the Doug parts from both swaps in a shoe box and still have room for your lunch.    As for car swaps, bike stuff doesnt appear, we only attend for cheap items for our workshops and some other crazy things we like to play with in our spare time.   Dont let me put you off though I am sure you will be welcome if you want to come to our swaps.  One affore mentioned swap can only improve if it stops trying to run a concourse at the same event.     regards Al

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2007 at 12:26 »
G'day Ian and Alan
Took me 2 minutes on the net to find 2 rear lamps for sale...both have been emailed to you Ian...keep an eye open in those categories and more will turn up on a regular basis....all you have to do is spend the housekeeping on them!
Alan..as regards swapmeets...I have not been to a mainland swap for 3 years....but Lorna picked up a gas tail lamp at a swap down here some time ago (got her trained well). The only swap down here (1 a year) is great for picking up EH Holden door trims or the occasional pot plant and I suppose eBay is to blame!
I bought dozens of tail lamps from David Earnshaw years ago for the Vintage club in Sydney and got some really good lamps...all at a price though, and I don't blame him for charging a good quid he chases all over the UK to find them nowadays.
I used to rate Beaulieu Autojumble by the number of NOS gas tail lamps still in the original box that I saw.....fewer every year.....I did know a bloke who had a large hoard of them but he died years ago and I suspect all his gear was sold off after his death.
Howard.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2007 at 22:24 »
Thanks Howard !!

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2007 at 22:40 »
Hello Howard     Great to see your Lorna helping you out.  My Lorna is one fall short of a walking frame and a battery scooter is parked under the awning ready to go.    Whats money, goes in the bank every fortnight , and our hobby has to take prioity over eating.    10 years ago dealers were asking 200 for good gas tail lights and if I was needing wouldnt hesitate going for one or two.     regards Al

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2007 at 05:32 »
Hi all,
Don't know whether it's an original or a replica but this carbide light is exquisite - a real work of art :!:  -  - it's mounted on Graeme's Fairy - note the contrast with the headlight of Hugh Whitmore's Dragonfly of a
later era in the background.  Photo taken at ADCR provided by courtesy Peter Hunt.

Larger view

Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2007 at 11:24 »
It's an original Alwyn!
I bought this when I was living in the UK in 1990 - found it in a little antique shop and paid 25 quid for it. It was absolutely complete and only need the smallest amount of panel beating before getting it nickel plated. We didn't have the Fairy then - but I'm glad I bought it, as it suits it to a treat. I reckon it's gorgeous!
Cheers, Graeme

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2007 at 11:17 »
Hello All    Thought I would throw this one in the only thing about this story is the carbide that goes into the light. In the past I have had the habit of going to old houses of people wishing to clean out and making an offer to remove unwanted items, paying them for the service.    Anyway on this particular day the dearly departed gentleman had been an old time mechanic and his welding system was a complete and obviously still working carbide gas system for Oxy/Accetylene welding.  And under the house was about 8 unopened 4 gallon kero shaped cans of carbide.      No didnt get any, they went with the gear, believe they went to a collector in Kingaroy regards Al

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2007 at 13:33 »
Bad luck !! Not many people actually light their carbide lights though - first one I have seen lit was at the Douglas rally !!

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2007 at 18:03 »
   During the Southern Classic Bike Show at Kempton Park on May 12th an auction of motorcycle memorabilia, bicycles and motorcycles was held by H & H auctions Ltd. I only found out about it and went up to view the lots just as the auction was beginning and unfortunately they started with the memorabilia when it was too late for me to register and take part.
     The results of the auction are now on the auctioneers web site and can be seen by "Googling" on H & H Auctions Ltd. Among the first Lots were four gas tail lights which went for £40 for the four followed by a number of head lights and generators and complete lighting sets. In all cases these were really cheap compared with what one could expect to pay on auto-jumble stalls. Chris.

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2007 at 07:49 »
ebay has a lot of carbide lights for sale but u must look under lighting and not cars bikes or boats or ebay motors i can list them if people are interested

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2007 at 08:17 »
.........i can list them if people are interested

Hi Trevor,
I think certainly for the present, people would be interested if lamps appear - just post under e-bay sales as you usually do for other stuff - and thanks for being the watchdog for e-bay listings.

Alwyn

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2007 at 09:27 »
Hello All      Glad to see all the discussion we have achieved on this subject ,  just a couple more comments to make     In the past I have had occasion to speak to old timers who used carbide lights.    They swore by the carbide light  when negotiating roads with potholes.    They insisted the light put out by carbide was easier to ride by than electric lights.  I was born in Maryborough Qld and often come across some crude versions that were used for catching fish They would row up the Mary river and allow fish to jump at the light into the boat.   And finally  a quantity of carbide was put into a syrup or powdered milk tin with a hole in it. Then thown into the water.   Eventually the mixture exploded,   Poor fish if any were near.

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2007 at 11:07 »
G'day all
Re the very early lamps fitted to turn of the century machines, they started out using cycle lamps and found out quickly that they did not hold up very well with the vibration on motorcycles. Lamps very similar in looks but much heavier in design came on the market especially for motorcycles and motors. Here is such a lamp...it is a Lucas Motor Acetyphote No 319...you will see a lot more meat around the mounting of this lamp.
Howard.

Larger view

« Last Edit: 17 May 2007 at 13:03 by alwyn »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2007 at 08:23 »
Hello All    Tracked down my mate Des today and got a pic of his replica tail lamp (Rega pump) an early one he made plastic lense and the top badge a 3 pence.    Des is shown with his mate with 2 of Des  Dougs. previously mine,no they werent that good when they left my shed. A E29 and a 4HP(the front brake, a speed retarder when sidecar is attached) Wished I had kept that gearbox.   regards Al     

Larger view

Larger view
« Last Edit: 21 May 2007 at 01:32 by alwyn »

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2007 at 01:33 »

Post modified - photos added HERE.
A.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2007 at 12:26 »
he does a great job of them !