Author Topic: Dismantling Steering Head on 2 3/4  (Read 5320 times)

Offline gsx1100s

Dismantling Steering Head on 2 3/4
« on: 04 Sep 2006 at 03:23 »
Hello all , I am at a bit of an impass in dismantling the steering head on my bike. I have undone the central bolt and loosened off the collar on the steering collumn , without any success for taking apart the handle bars and the girder forks. I am lothe to get the "persuader" out and damage the bike. Any help would be appreciated.

regards Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Dismantling Steering Head on 2 3/4
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2006 at 04:25 »
You can not get the handlebars free, I take it?

The center bolt of the handlebars draws up a wedge that expands the handle bar post inside the steering stem. Loosen the bolt a few turns and tap the head down with a hard plastic mallet to free the wedge.  The 'bars may still be stuck, but straddling the forks with your legs to hold them steady, you should be able to twist the 'bars back and forth and wriggle the handlebars up out of the steering stem.

Then you should be able to completely loosen the top bearing nut and withdraw cover and the race. Beyond that I do not know the specifics for the 2-3/4hp, but assume it follows conventional bicycle/motorcycle practice. That is the bearing balls will be loose and fall out onto the ground, where you will never be able to find every last one. I am not sure if the 2-3/4hp has that endearing trait of some other makes, namely, you can also drop a ball or two down into the frame tube! 

-Doug

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #2 on: 04 Sep 2006 at 05:55 »
Thanks Doug , I'll try that tonight .
I'm quite sure you've also explained that strange rattly sound in the frame for a few peole as well  :lol:

cheers Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline clee

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2006 at 02:24 »
G'day Michael, just as a matter of interest, it wont matter if you lose some of the balls as they are readily available from pushbike shops. They come in a rller cage that is easily opened to extract the balls. Hope this is some help.  Regards Col
colin lee