Author Topic: Douglas engine in a car?  (Read 11791 times)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Douglas engine in a car?
« on: 03 Jun 2006 at 11:31 »
Received this email from Josep Mataro in Spain.

Hola, sinento no poder hablar ingles, tengo un Ciyclecar Douglas, creo, me gustaria que publicaras estas fotos para ver si alguien conoce este motor y me pudiesen dar informacion.
Muy agradecido de antemano por vuestro interes.
Un gran saludo!!
Josep Mataro.  Lleida España.

which Google translates as...

Hello, sinento not to be able to speak English, I have a Cyclecar Douglas, I create, gustaria me that you published these photos to see if somebody knows east motor and they could give information me.  Very been thankful beforehand by your interest.  A great greeting!  Josep Mataro.  Lleida Spain.

Seems he's trying to identify the motor which he thinks may be a Douglas.

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2018 at 13:03 by Doug »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Douglas engine in a car?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2006 at 12:55 »
Douglas did make stationary engines from WW1 onwards, that bore a passing resemblance to those they fitted to their motorcycles. Sometimes they had special crankcases, dedicated for the purpose that could look like that shown. Having said that, those cylinders and valve pockets, and the bridge piece holding the cylinder assembly down, do not look like anything I have seen on a Douglas engine. It seems clear it did start out as someone's stationary engine, with the built in features for forced fan cooling. During the era this engine appears to belong to, a Douglas stationary engine would be based on a 2-3/4hp or a 4hp engine. So I would say Douglas negativa, sino yo no sabe cuáles es.

-Doug

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2006 at 15:46 »
try looking at victor coventry engines looks very similiar to some i have seen

Offline KiwiJohn

« Reply #3 on: 03 Jun 2006 at 21:09 »
What did the Dryad aero engine look like?

I assume it has a gearbox et al out of sight,  didnt Rover make something like that in the 20's?

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jun 2006 at 18:11 »
Josep has replied...

Hola Dave! Estoy muy contento de recivir tus noticias, he visto tus amigos que rapidamente han contestado en el foro!  Estoy siguiendo las pìstas que me han dado.  Muy agradecido por tu interes.  Gracias amigo!!  Josep Mataro

which Google translates as...

Hello Dave! I am very contented of recivir your news, I have seen your friends who quickly have answered in the forum!  I am following pìstas that they have given me.  Very been thankful by your interest.  Thanks friends!  Josep Mataro

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jun 2006 at 00:38 »
Quote from: KiwiJohn
What did the Dryad aero engine look like?

Oh, nothing like that. The Dryad was a high camshaft ohv unit, with a large twin magneto drive housing across the top.

-Doug

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2012 at 09:30 »
Many thanks to Stephen who sent in this message and video link.

Hi Dave

Sorry to drag up an old tread.

The engine is a Stuart Turner, made for the War Office for front line radio equipment.
I have one, and there is about 14 known, I have a copy of the registry.

Kind Regards

Stephen

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2012 at 15:47 »
Josep is probably no longer watching the thread, but at least we now have a definitive answer.

Thanks Stephen!

-Doug

Offline 2strokesteve

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2012 at 19:29 »
Sorry didn’t think to post it as it was such an old thread.

The engine is a Stuart Turner WD (War Department) or Flat Twin Air Cooled as it is better known.
The Stuart Turner Flat Twin came into existence when the War Office approached Stuart Turner and seven other companies in 1923, for a light -weight generator set that could be carried into forward operating positions on the back of pack mules. The War Office set stringent criteria that needed to be fulfilled. Stuart Turner was asked to build two engines for trials. The engine that was produced was the only engine to perform as needed while adhering to the criteria. The engine which Stuart Turner designed and entered was a Small Flat Twin Side Valve air-cooled four stroke supplied with 300 Watt generator, oil pump fitted and the sump was sealed so that the engine would not be affected by which position it was carried in, and was extremely light in weight.

The brief was that the whole set should weigh no more than 84 lbs (38 kilos) as it was intended for forward radio positions in difficult terrain & would be carried on a pack mule. It must be unaffected by the position in which it was carried, be capable of operating in any temperature from freezing to 140oF and govern its speed to within 5%. There were other conditions too, but these are the salient details.

They produce 1HP at 1760RPM, so not the most powerful of things, I wouldn’t have thought the car would have been much of a speed machine!

At the moment there is 14 known, only about 2 are a complete set, most are engine only.

Im just after the Marconi Douglas to go with it  :wink:

Cheers, Steve