Author Topic: RG/H Gearbox for 1932 Terrier 350 cc  (Read 5085 times)

Offline podge

RG/H Gearbox for 1932 Terrier 350 cc
« on: 16 Dec 2009 at 13:04 »
Hi Guys

I am trying to replace the layshaft with a Club Spares Quaife layshaft - slipping 2nd gear syndrome - but cannot get the old layshaft out. Can anyone help me with advice, experience, notes or anything else.

Thanks

Paul

Offline Clive

Re: RG/H Gearbox for 1932 Terrier 350 cc
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2009 at 19:31 »
Hi Paul,
Have you got your G/Box apart yet?
Its a long time since i took one apart but i don't recall any major problems .
Once the end cover is off and the shock absorber centre off the mainshaft.The whole gear cluster should come out.  The selector mechanism is the bit i cant remember how that comes out , if its the lay shaft that's stuck the case at the drive end probably needs warming with a heat gun to get the bearing to come out of the case and the whole works should come out.
Let us know how progress is
RegardsClive

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2009 at 02:13 »
Paul,

As Clive said, it is probably just the grip of the case on the layshaft ball bearing. A little heat on the end of the case will release the bearing. There is really nothing else holding it in. The selector fork just rotates further than its normal opperating range until the bearing drops out of the bore, and you can sneak the assembly sideways and clear of the selector glut. The following picture is of a 600EW gearbox, but it is the same construction as the Terrier.

-Doug

« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2019 at 18:06 by Doug »

Offline podge

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2009 at 09:07 »
Hi Clive and Doug

Thank you both very much for the advice and Doug for the photo. I had previously taken advice from Dave Richmond of the LDMCC who also said to use heat. The bearing in question is the layshaft bearing on the blind side of the gearbox casting. I made up a bridge from sustantial steel bar that would sit on the edges of the open side of the casing, used a two jaw puller on the outer layshaft gear and cooked up the blind side of the casing with a gas blow torch until the remnants of grease in the gearbox were smoking well!

The bearing eased out about 1/8 inch but would come no further. I repeated this procedure several times but to no avail. Not wanting to apply any more force on the puller and damage the assembly, I tapped the bearing back and have left it.

Fotunately I have a spare gearbox so after Christmas I will try that one.

Again many thanks

Paul