Author Topic: t35 barrels.  (Read 4392 times)

Offline george sutton

t35 barrels.
« on: 20 Dec 2009 at 08:32 »
Hi guys, need a fast answer here please.   from standered size can i get away with reboreing genny cylinders to + 40"over size ? checkingn skirt thickness i find it would only leave skirt at 0.59" thou.. has anyone done this and had it last ok ?  come on Eddie i'm sure your up to this ! Denis S.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: t35 barrels.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2009 at 12:15 »
Denis,
           According to the spare parts book, oversize pistons were not originally available for the T35 Mk1. Pistons were only available up to +.030 for the later Marks - mainly due to the thin section of the early barrels. In my opinion, the resulting .059" skirt thickness from boring to +.040 should not be a problem, but if going out to this size, make sure the mating faces for barrel to crankcase are good. Any distortion resulting from tightening down the barrel to distorted crankcases is likely to generate cracks in the barrel in the area of the top cylinder base nuts. These cracks often go right through to the bore - rendering the barrel useless.
                                 Regards,
                                          Eddie.

Offline george sutton

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2009 at 18:28 »
Hi eddie, thanks for your quick input.  I actually had +030" as a max . that i thought was safe already in my mind. but i had to ask for another oppinion, as it concerns genny barrels. ive been told they were thiner than  the m/c ones.  i'm really trying to save two spare pitted barrels if its possible. Cheers, and a merry xmas to you and yours, Denis

Offline aggettd

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2009 at 20:34 »

the other possibility, if the shape of the barrels hasn't been worn too "out of round" or "banana-shaped", is to have the scores filled with braze or bronze weld, as suggested to me in earlier posts. I haven't found the time to try the suggestion, but the responders seem to think that it was an acceptable fix.

Offline george sutton

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2009 at 08:05 »
thanks Aggetted.    your suggestion is of course another way, BUT, firstly the barrels would need proper cleaning, followed by temperature controled oven heating for the braising. also its important to cool the castings down very slowly to avoid cracking..    all this is possible, however, the skilled work and costs involved might not be worth the risks with such thin walled castings, but thanks .And a merry christmas to you and Canada. Denis.s