Author Topic: Dragonfly shock absorbers  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Sgtbiro

Dragonfly shock absorbers
« on: 16 May 2020 at 10:48 »
Hi All hope someone can help i have took the shocks off my Dragonfly and now i cant remember which ones go on the front and which ones go on the back can anyone let my know please, and how much difference it would make as there is only an inch difference.

Cheers Kevin..

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Dragonfly shock absorbers
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2020 at 11:43 »
Hi Kevin,
               The short (12.9") ones go on the back - the longer (13.9") ones go on the front.
  If you fit them the other way round, it will upset the steering geometry - and the headlight will leave a nasty dent in the front mudguard when you hit the first bump in the road!

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2020 at 16:18 »
Hi Eddie thanks for the info i have the originals to put on if i can referb them but was also looking to buy new if not but the closest i can find to the 13.9 ones are 13.4 do you think that these would work or would i have the same problem that you mentioned before.

Cheers Kevin..   

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2020 at 17:11 »
Hi Kevin,
               Even with the 13.9" units, a severe jolt that completely compresses the front units (including the rubber bump stops) can cause the headlamp to leave a mark on the front mudguard (and crack the headlamp glass!). If you check out the front units, you will see that they have a longer alloy spacer on the piston rod, to control the compressed length. You may get away with the 13.4" units providing they don't have a shorter compressed length. Some modern units have top fittings that can be unscrewed - in which case, a spacer can be fitted over the piston rod to maintain the original compressed length. Also, the original springs on the front of the Dragonfly were the lightest ones listed by Girling, and rated at 54lbs/inch - this means the damping will have to be correspondingly light - otherwise the units may not recover before hitting the next bump - and will jack themselves down.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2020 at 21:45 »
if i can referb them

Someone local to me can refurb about 99% of shocks - they can cut them open if necessary and regas/reoil them and recondition them and reweld them.
So if you can't readily diy, look for someone who can do this service in your neck of the woods, they are about.
They often won't advertise, since they are likely swamped with work. Ask MC Dealers who they use.

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2020 at 14:19 »
Thanks guys for all the info its very helpful and i need all the help i can get so pleased that i can ask a question on here and get some really good reply's.

Cheers Kevin..