Author Topic: Dirt Track Duggie, footrest lugs and gearbox thread  (Read 5441 times)

Offline bmwmyplace

Hi Peter Here, I joined the forum in 2004, but alas have not been on it since, I would like to make some progress with my restoration.  The bike is a absolute basket case,...bit like me really :roll:... any how I thought I would start with a couple of simple questions

My bike appears to not have any lugs welded to the frame for the foot pegs,..... any reason for that. frame no TF XXXX
Also can someone give me some help with regard dimensions for positioning some lugs and perhaps a photo of what the lugs look like so I can make some.

I also have  YG gearbox which is seized solid, the large NUT on the splined end........is it perhaps lefthand thread.....there is no reason for me to think that it might be but better safe than sorry

Thanks for your help Regards Peter
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2007 at 03:37 by Doug »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Dirt Track Duggie
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2007 at 05:03 »
The DT models originally they would only have a provision for mounting the footrest on the left-hand side. As these were converted for road use, owners would add a foot rest to the right-hand side, usually by gas welding a short length of pipe to the lower frame member.  I have heard tell that only one genuine SW model can be documented as actually having left the Works, if so, then I suspect that at some point the factory started adding the footrest lugs to both sides on all frames, rather than build two different types. My 1930 DT/SW has brazed lugs on both sides, the right-hand side incorporates the rear brake pivot, a typical Douglas feature. This type of lug would need to be added prior to the frame being assembled.

Larger view

Larger view

It sounds like on your frame, someone has gone to the trouble to wipe the lug off entirely. They must have had alternate plans for footrests that did not include the original lug(s) and wanted to save a few ounces of weight! You could simply weld a tube to the frame, fabricate some sort of clamp-on bracket, or replicate the original lug but split into two halves so that it could encompass the tube and then be sweated on with silver braze.

The large nut on the trans input sleeve gear is right-hand thread, as is the nut for the output sprocket taper. You do not need to remove the input sprocket to split the case to see what is the matter. But you will of course, to drop the sleeve gear out of the bearing. On the other hand, with the trans locked up solid, it will hold the shaft securely while you loosen the nut, every cloud has a silver lining! 

-Doug

[Update https image links. 30Jan20 -Doug]
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2020 at 06:00 by Doug »

Offline bmwmyplace

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2007 at 06:42 »
Doug thanks for the quick relpy, photos are great ..just a little dust ....I cant quite tell, is that a peg in the brake lever and an stop on the mount.  thanks  Peter

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2007 at 03:36 »
Yes, the peg is a screw head and serves as a stop for the brake pedal, which has a corresponding notch on the inboard end.

I have also just noted that the footrest lugs are further back than normally seen. Some checking reveals that on the SW, the center of the footrest lug is 3.75" forward of the center of the rear lower frame cross tube, as seen here. On the DT the lug is placed further forward, at 6.75"

-Doug