Author Topic: New post icon not working?  (Read 7711 times)

Offline Doug

• Administrator
New post icon not working?
« on: 17 Apr 2004 at 04:21 »
All,

Is it just at my end, or are new posts not getting the 'orange' new post icon?

-Doug

Offline Dave

• Administrator
New post icon not working?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Oct 2004 at 06:01 »
(This is a repost of an earlier message that was moved)

Good question Doug. It's a feature that needs to work reliably. The orange new-post icon

only appears when these three conditions are true:

- you are logged in
     - the post was made by another member
     - you have not yet opened that topic.
When you first arrive at the Forum Index page and are not logged in (viewing the page as a guest) you'll notice there are no orange new-post icons.

Once you log in, some orange icons may appear (if there are unopened new posts).

If you make a post, the new-post icon won't appear for you. However it will appear for others.

There should have been a new-post icon next to this topic before you opened it. If not, the problem may be related to cookies.

If your current Privacy settings in Internet Explorer do not allow cookies, this may have something to do with it. My Internet Explorer Privacy level is currently set to "medium" which allows first-party cookies without any personally identifiable information. This works OK.

I doubt that "medium high" would block the forum's cookie, but "high" might and "block all cookies" definitely would. I haven't tested the effect of these higher settings yet. However you can overide these higher settings for specific sites using the "edit" button. This allows you to maintain the higher settings while allowing a specified site to place a cookie. Note that the "block all cookies" setting is not overidable.

If the problem persists, let me know your settings and I'll do some tests.

I've posted another new post in the Test Forum which should also be displaying the new-post icon.

Dave